Review of A View from the Ivories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of A View from the Ivories

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A View from the Ivories" by David Carlin King.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A View from the Ivories by David Carlin King is a memoir filled with musical history and personality. The author takes readers through his professional life as his life toured the world through his music. Have you ever wondered what happens backstage at a concert or orchestral performance? What kind of obstacles do performers and directors have to overcome? This book answers those questions!

As a musician and music enthusiast, I found myself entertained by the interesting tales shared by this author. I am familiar with the music of most of the artists featured in this volume of short stories, so I liked learning the details of their creative lives and performances. The struggles and rewards of the musical profession are apparent in the joy and relish with which this author relates each tale.

The authenticity and originality of this narrative are delivered in a rich and friendly style that keeps readers engaged. What I liked best about this book is that it is hard to put down. Every story has a unique flair and style because each one provides a look at a particular personality in the performing world. The reader walks away with a new perspective regarding the world of performing arts. That aspect is one of the best takeaways of this book.

This book is divided into sections. Each section deals with a type of experience for the author. Some of them are involved with the world with music. Others are focused on politicians or the world of sports. Each story gives readers the benefit of the lessons learned by the author during a lifetime of experiences with people from many walks of life. This format kept the flow of the book smooth and fluid. The pace was steady throughout the book.

A good deal of humor is scattered through this book's stories. A recurring thread of caring and deep thoughtfulness also carries into each tale. I enjoyed the more profound lessons that were taught from these true stories and experiences. They show readers the innate strengths of each set of characters and help readers feel how the characters developed within their unique life experiences.

There are some negatives to list for this volume of short stories. Although the book seemed professionally edited in most respects, there were several errors that ranged from grammar and punctuation problems to misspelled words. These imperfections made the book feel a little sloppy and took away some of its polish. Another negative aspect was how, more than once, the book seems to introduce a concept the author refers to as Gay and Christian. I am not personally familiar with this concept. However, I am familiar with the Holy Bible and the history of many established faiths. I believe that this aspect of the book may alienate groups of readers who practice these religions. For these reasons, this book has achieved a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. While I don't recommend it to religious readers for the aforementioned reason, I expect it will appeal most to readers who enjoy reading about the lives of those in performing arts, sports, and politics.

A View from the Ivories
View: on Bookshelves
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

It's not everytime you would see books that addresses issues as this. This book is unique, though I'm not a big fan of music.
I enjoyed reading your review.
Welldone!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85675
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1325%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This a lovely book I like how the author brought out the storyline Goodreads 💯✅
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

It's a privilege to hear from a renowned musician and how he handled the pressures of fame.
I'm not likely to pursue this book for the concept mentioned in the review that makes it controversial as it sounds like someone trying to initiate readers into such a lifestyle.
Great review done nevertheless.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”