Review of Those little white lines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Review of Those little white lines

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Those little white lines" by Kaz piper.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Those Little White Lines by Kaz Piper is the dizzying and harrowing story of a young woman enticed overseas by a rock 'n' roll star. It is based on a true story, with certain events changed slightly for entertainment purposes. When a young Australian woman, Bridget, meets José from the big-name band The Hipnotiks, she is unaware that her life is about to change in fundamental ways. Against her better judgement and the objections of her parents, she agrees to accompany José back to his home in Los Angeles, California. However, darkness steals into her cashed-up, drugged-up, loved-up life as she learns her new man is not the prince she thought he was...

This is a fascinating, well-written book, beautifully structured and captivating. It is so engrossing that I read it in just two days. The prologue sets the scene nicely at a critical juncture in the early part of Bridget's journey. Piper has a strong grasp of the English language and some elegant descriptive writing: "Feathery pinkish lines stroke the white mountain plains." Some of her writing is particularly neat and succinct: "José's Cheshire cat grin approves." Her sentences and chapters are easy and enjoyable to read.

Already interesting, Those Little White Lines becomes completely gripping once Bridget discovers José is not the man she thought he was. José's dark side drives the narrative, transforming a classic tale of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll into something morbidly fascinating as his obsessive traits take centre stage. I found myself reading onward compulsively to see how events would unfold, especially what Bridget would do and how her man would react.

Piper's descriptions of the effects of cocaine use are excellent, giving the reader a decent perspective on how Bridget feels and the reasons for her decisions. A lot of her choices concerning José seem illogical to an outsider, yet she can clearly explain her motivations and justify her actions. I found myself empathising with her, irrespective of my frustration at her plight. The book's ending also does not disappoint, with some dramatic final twists to maintain the reader's interest.

Piper's book does contain a small number of minor errors; these were mainly missed or incorrect punctuation. I didn't dislike anything else about the book; with the errors fixed, I would rate it 4 stars. Currently, Those Little White Lines gets 3 out of 4 stars. It is highly entertaining; I would recommend it to anyone interested in relationships, crime, and travel. However, it does contain sex, drug use, and violence (including rape), so it is not for the faint of heart.

Those little white lines
View: on Bookshelves
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

Thanks for the informative review. I will not read the book because it contains sex, drug use and violence.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

All I can say is wow! Perhaps this is because this is my kind of novel, perhaps not. What I do know is that I will certainly be grabbing a copy of the book.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

I think it's not new to me reading about romantic relationships like these. However, I am triggered whenever I read books about drug abuse, I am often discouraged by books like this. It seems like a good read nevertheless.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

The story of a young woman enticed overseas by a rock 'n' roll star will be such a fun read. You penned a good review. Bravo
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

ThankGod Onyishi wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 15:45 All I can say is wow! Perhaps this is because this is my kind of novel, perhaps not. What I do know is that I will certainly be grabbing a copy of the book.
This is an absolutely engrossing story, especially because it is based on true events. Only the number of minor errors let it down; otherwise, it's 4 stars all the way. Thanks for commenting!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Sugar Rush wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 04:26 I think it's not new to me reading about romantic relationships like these. However, I am triggered whenever I read books about drug abuse, I am often discouraged by books like this. It seems like a good read nevertheless.
I can understand drug abuse being a touchy subject for many (I hate illicit drugs myself and what they do to people's lives), but this is a powerful read about real people and the damage they can do in their own lives and the lives of others. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Bri Denzel wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 10:48 The story of a young woman enticed overseas by a rock 'n' roll star will be such a fun read. You penned a good review. Bravo
Thanks! It was a highly entertaining book with plenty of intrigue and suspense. Compelling reading.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”