Review of Why Punish Me?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Why Punish Me?

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Punish Me?" by Michael Moloney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why Punish Me? by Michael Moloney is the result of detailed research on the consequences of Saint Augustine of Hippo's doctrine of original sin. It is also an exposé on the consequences of religious indoctrination. It is a no-brainer that Saint Augustine is one of the Catholic church's most celebrated saints. Everyone has a friend named Augustine today. He propounded the doctrine of original sin, which posits that we are all sinners from conception. In other words, a baby born today is already sinful! I am a Catholic, and this is one of the doctrines that our church is built on. I guess Augustine's doctrine is also the reason for baptism, which reportedly cleanses babies partially of this original sin.

The author goes deep to show the consequences of this incredible doctrine. As Catholics, most of our hymns, teachings, and responses are based on this doctrine which labels us unworthy sinners constantly begging God for mercy. The popular responses "Kyrie Eleison", which means "Lord have mercy", and "mea culpa", which means through my faults", quickly come to mind. The author suggests that this doctrine and the chants and responses it has given birth to have planted the seeds of self-denigration in Christians, which in turn leads to low self-esteem.

There are so many positive aspects to this work, and it was written without any errors. The writer made extensive use of facts to back up his claims which is very important in books this which are written to fight abnormal norms. The author discusses a lot in this book. He talks about the deification of priests by indoctrinated Christians, and I found this very enlightening. This makes people see them as infallible and capable of trust. Little kids are entrusted into their care and sometimes end up getting abused. After all, God's servants can do no wrong. The author also writes on the hypocrisy of religious leaders who, as he puts it, tell people to "do as they say, not as they do."

The book contains many educative themes like original sin, sexual abuse, the deification of priests, religious indoctrination, and even hypocrisy. Another important theme I wish to point out is the theme of logical thinking. Humans apply logic every day, but once religion is involved, they abandon it completely, and this is caused by early indoctrination. In the book, the author points out that it is quite improper that children are taught about creation when they cannot distinguish between facts and fiction yet. I look back to my childhood and wonder if the catechism we were spoon-fed has benefitted me in any way.

For me, the book had no negative aspects at all. I only enjoin the reader to read with an open mind. Most of these facts will sound outrageous to people who are not open-minded. I understood it perfectly because I've always had the same questions on my mind as the author, wondering if I'll go to Hell for even thinking about it, which is still a consequence of indoctrination. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because I consider it a wonderful work of literature filled with extensive research and facts on religion and what it is really about. Once again, I hope every prospective reader goes through it with an open mind. Any reader interested in learning more about the doctrines of the Catholic church and the consequences of indoctrination, as the author put it, would find this book captivating.

Why Punish Me?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

Wow, a book with heavy themes. I would love to read it. Thank you for the great review!
Francis O 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Francis O 3 »

What an insight!
A wonderful review we have here. Trying to give us an expose of the book 'Why Punish Me'. My feeling is same, as a Catholic I used to to think it's sinful thinking on the opposite as it concerns the doctrines of Catholic faith. Now am of age with open mind.
Good review!
Daniel Banguwiha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Daniel Banguwiha »

Wow. A book with great ideas.
Great review
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

The origin of sin has been heard from different perspectives. Nice review
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I really liked reading your review. Keeping an open mind helps a lot when reading some sensitive subjects and this one requires it. Thanks for the review!
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

The book talks about really deep things. I do not however know how I would feel reading this book being a catholic. Maybe I will try it when I am ready to keep an open mind.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”