Review of Being Humans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Being Humans

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Being Humans" by Melissa Gates Perry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if you could choose the way you die or the circumstances of your birth? In Being Humans, Melissa Gates Perry explored these possibilities and more. Melissa and her spirit guide, Aralamb, took me on a journey through the regular dimension of earth and another dimension that they called 'The Lobby.' Melissa brought me into the most challenging parts of her life. Her mother had a penchant for younger men. Melissa and her sister, Stephanie, had to deal with the shame of their mother's lifestyle. She worked at a lumberyard, which led her to new experiences with her co-worker, Les. Her relationship with Les brought about the experiences that birthed this book. Melissa shared her knowledge about the soul and dying process.

In this book, the author calls readers to an awakening of the mind and an openness toward possibilities beyond the human norm. Human existence has been fraught with questions about the afterlife and the existence of a higher power. Whether your idea of the afterlife is premised on religious doctrines of 'Heaven' for Christians or by other titles like 'Nirvana' and 'Shambala,' this book has a similar but unique explanation that is interesting and insightful. More so, the book examines the dynamics of religion, its implementation of fear as a tool of control, and its role in the bigger picture of life and the afterlife. Many of the concepts can challenge already-existing concepts about the afterlife, especially concerning religion.

The writing had an informal, humorous tone to it. In some places, the stories became quite emotional. This book was written from two perspectives. The first was from the author's spirit guide, Aralamb, and then from the author's point of view. For the entirety of the book, the narrative voice shifted from Melissa to Aralamb and vice versa. This style added a unique, intriguing twist to the book and gave it a surreal feel even as the spirit guide revealed astounding insights about this life and God.

I was most enamored by the author's genuineness and dedication to telling the truth — the truths that many would agree were difficult and awkward to let out. This openness compelled me to consider, at a deeper level, the assertions that the author had put forward, even though I didn't agree with everything. Many of the author's beliefs were hard to accept because of their contrast to popular beliefs. It became easier to grasp when these beliefs and knowledge were broken down into relatable, practical examples and scenarios, mostly from Melissa's life.

Being Humans exposed me to another realm of understanding about being human. It was an excellent read with so much knowledge to impart. However, it would require professional editing. Apart from the plethora of errors, there was nothing to dislike. Being Humans would be best suited to readers interested in understanding the operation of the afterlife. I'd rate it three out of four stars because of the number of errors.

Being Humans
View: on Bookshelves
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Sounds spiritual and somehow mysterious. Such books are my favourite genre. I must read this one.
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

I was most enamored by the author's genuineness and dedication to telling the truth — the truths that many would agree were difficult and awkward to let out.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”