Review of How To Win (Almost) Every Political Argument

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of How To Win (Almost) Every Political Argument

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How To Win (Almost) Every Political Argument" by Eric Kirshner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How To Win (Almost) Every Political Argument is a book written by Eric Kirshner. He addresses some misrepresented facts by media outlets. News sources are known to feed people with propaganda. Certain narratives help a particular political group stay in power or get elected. To know the truth, you must make your research. In this book, Eric Kirshner reveals some major issues that many people are unaware of.

It is always exciting to see books that challenge what is currently acceptable. I have always known about media propaganda, but the author gave a lot of overwhelming details for some of the topics he discussed. I used the search engine that was recommended to look for an unbiased viewpoint on a certain topic, and I was amazed at the results I got. The facts and figures given in this book gave it credibility. I particularly found the chapter about gun violence insightful. The discussion around it was thought-provoking. When citizens have guns, there is bound to be an increased rate of violence. However, taking these guns away from people does not eradicate the fact that the bad guys still exist. Instead of reducing the violence, you could make defenseless citizens preys. Every policy has advantages and disadvantages. I liked how the author tried to reveal some negative actions of respected public figures. In addition, I liked the tone used in this book; it was assertive.

However, after reading this book, I felt the book title was very misleading. It is an insightful read, but this is not a book that teaches one how to win political arguments. The ideas presented in this book are the author's viewpoint, but they are based on research. This book started with the idea that the political groups in the United States have negative sides. I was hoping to see an equal amount of criticism about both parties. It was surprising that the author leaned towards the Republicans. I do not have a problem with either party. However, I felt this book did not do justice to the ideas it claimed to explore.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting a star because of the negative aspects I mentioned. Titling this book as a guide to winning as many political arguments as possible was a bold claim. While there are many debatable topics in this book, I do not think this amount should be considered as "almost every" political argument. Also, taking a side reduced the credibility of the viewpoints presented. I felt it could have been better if I was left to conclude on my own. I didn't rate it lower because this is not an average book. It was helpful, but the negative aspects affected my reading experience. This book was professionally edited; I barely found errors in it.

I recommend this book to political enthusiasts. If you enjoy reading about history and international relations, then this book is for you. Additionally, if you're open to broadening your horizon about the government of the United States, you should read this book.

How To Win (Almost) Every Political Argument
View: on Bookshelves
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

One thing to note from this review is the fact that it is necessary to make research so as to know the truth on any matter. I love the concept of the book, and I will love to read it. Thanks for your honest review.
Chongo Situmba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Chongo Situmba »

The title of the book How To Win (Almost) Every Political Argument had caused many people to have it on their shelves, because many people are interested to discover what's going on in the world of politics, hence the author's purpose of writing a book was fulfilled.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”