Review of Power of Nisa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Review of Power of Nisa

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Power of Nisa" by Nidhi Gogia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gender inequality is a pervasive and pressing phenomenon that has existed for a long time in India. As a result, women are forced to be subservient to men and face threats to their lives at every stage. Power of Nisa by Ms. Nidhi Gogia is an educative and extraordinary work precisely because it presents an important insight into the many harsh realities of women in India. Categorised as feminist literature, this book consists of the real-life stories of sixteen women and girls whose rights are violated due to the life-long neglect of women and deeply entrenched patriarchy in Indian society. Their sad stories of domestic violence, acid attacks, child sexual abuse, prostitution, rape, and more also share the power of resilience and bravery. Despite the odds, these fearless women and girls manage to liberate themselves from their horrifying past and live to their potential. Won't you like to find out how? I urge you to pick up this book to find out.

This book has some positive aspects. I was immersed in Ms. Nidhi's writing because of the simplicity of her choice of words. Most sentences were natural, smooth, and very easy to read. I only discovered a few errors, which prove that this book was professionally edited. The audience can take away messages of strength and tenacity from the amazingly inspirational stories presented in this book, especially that of the acid attack survivor. Despite suffering facial disfigurement, she doesn't give in to depression but fights to reclaim her life.

By candidly telling the characters' triumphs, the author offers hope and encourages women to speak their hearts, share their tragedies, and overcome the odds without fear. I had no knowledge about the dowry system in India until after reading this book. This shows that it has a lot of information to offer. The author dives deep into the causes of the issues mentioned and their adverse effects on women and gives suggestions for solving those issues.

Furthermore, this book is an excellent reference to have nearby when you need a reminder of how special you really are. It encourages readers to cultivate confidence, positivity, and self-love by emphasizing the value of self-respect. There were illustrations in this work that enriched and supported the stories and also made it easier to envision the real-life characters. Lastly, the author allowed the readers to explore some characters and events differently. She does this by adding attention-grabbing poems. This book also included quotes from notable figures to promote women's empowerment.

I did not find any negative issues with this book. Overall, this is an eye-opening, quick-to-read, and well-written book that attempts to amplify the voices of people in India to fight for gender equality and justice. For the reasons above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. If you are interested in understanding women's issues in India or are a lover of women-centric books, I highly recommend you read this book.

Power of Nisa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

One think I like about this book as you stated in your review is how it encourages confidence, self love and positivity.
Great review
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Gender inequality is a sensitive topic and authors that speak on it deserve all the accolades they can get. Great review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

The strength of women who went through soul shattering and traumatizing situations is something I enjoy immensely. There are times I go through a low and just reading something like this, proves how much stronger we can be and to move through this low point on life to something better! Something that should break a person by all accounts and these woman, even though extremely difficult, makes it through and up. The review is very well Whitten and definitely caught my attention for this book.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the nice review! This book sounds inspiring and motivating. I really like how the stories share the message to overcome odds and speak out their heart.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

I have not been to India but I feel I can talk about these struggles from the movies I have seen and from stories I have read. Wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”