Review of Launchpad Republic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of Launchpad Republic

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Launchpad Republic" by Howard Wolk and John Landry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters by Howard Wolk and John Landry shows how the American political and economic system changed to control the dynamic between incumbents and upstarts. It also tries to strike a balance between the numerous contending factors at play. This book focuses on America and how it is a frontier in entrepreneurship. It constantly compared China, Israel, England, Japan, and other countries to America with respect to the entrepreneurial edge.

Howard Wolk is an experienced entrepreneur, investor, and company builder, while John Landry is an independent business historian and writer. They both came together to combine their knowledge and expertise in the birthing of this book. In this book, you will find startup stories about companies like Uber and other taxi companies, their fight to stay, and their struggle through expansion. This book successfully analyzed how upstart and incumbent entrepreneurs are affected by different factors.

There are some things I love about this book. When I started reading the preambles of this book, I thought the whole book was going to be difficult to digest due to the complicated language used. I was surprised by how things became much easier when I started chapter one. I like the way the authors summarized the book, chapter by chapter, at the beginning of the book. It gave me an idea of what would be covered in each chapter. This further helped me digest the contents of each chapter later on. I like how each chapter starts with a story. It draws you in and gives an excellent analogy of what will be discussed further in that chapter. There are stories about The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P), Crescent City Livestock Landing and Slaughterhouse Company, Standard Oil, American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T), and U.S. Steel. There were also other political, economic, and entrepreneurial stories scattered in-between chapters. Also, I love how adequately researched this book is. The authors referenced many books and research and provided citations of those sources at the end of each chapter. For a better understanding of the readers, charts and data tables were also provided.

This book discussed entrepreneurial competition extensively. This book will teach you about the different stages of entrepreneurial development in America in different years. You will learn from this book that the political, legal, and cultural frameworks of the United States allow entrepreneurs to flourish and expand, even when they must confront formidable adversaries. This book is both informative and educational.

The copy available on OBC seems to be the editor's copy because I could see some corrections that the editor made. There were many errors, all of which had already been pointed out. These errors must have been corrected in the official copy. Hence, I encourage the author to change the file in OBC to an updated one. The errors did not affect my rating because the book's editor had already corrected them.

I recommend this book to entrepreneurs and those interested in reading about the economies and politics of various countries. This book analyzed and compared different companies from different countries. I found it very informative and educational. I honestly did not find anything to dislike about this book. For all the above reasons, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars. This book has ten chapters and is a total of 205 pages long.

Launchpad Republic
View: on Bookshelves
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Although I have not read this book, your review looks complex and does not suit my taste for books. Anyways, thanks for the great review
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Seems straight to the point. I'm not an expert in business administration or books on the topic but from your rating and description, I believe this is an excellent book for business and those in related field. I'm not in need of such book but I commend your review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

I guess this is a book that teaches political and economical lessons. I would recommend this to all political enthusiasts out there.
Donald Kelvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

Very interesting review! I'd really like to read this book to understand more about America's entrepreneur system. There seems to be a lot of information to be obtained.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Your review is always outstanding and I commend you for that. This book is an intriguing one though it's a bit complex and requires complete attention to understand it. Thanks for for the review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry is a great book on entrepreneurship. As an aspiring entrepreneur, I found the content of this book insightful. great review.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

The business field has never been my fort. But this book seems well-versed in the entrepreneurship business of large companies and that country. Some will find this book interesting. Great review.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand. Thanks for a wonderful and intriguing review. Looking forward to reading this book.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

I haven't read this book, but I will definitely give it a try. I love reading your review. This book seems very interesting and engaging.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

I love start-up books. I love knowing more about the business field and this book seems to be very well-versed in the field of business. I would love to try out this book, it definitely looks like an interesting one.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

This is a good book for entrepreneurs. It is always good when books like this incorporate stories and examples. These things help the readers understand it and be able to read the book without getting bored. Nice one!
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I think every entrepreneur or anyone who wants to startup a business should read this book. Your review was detailed and consice. This book is every informative. Great review.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

The combination of two experts produces a brilliant book like this, I like to explore other fields so I really want to learn about entrepreneur competition and entrepreneurship itself and I'll really like to know the story behind these big start up companies
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I would like to learn about the different stages of entrepreneurial development in America over the past years. Therefore I would love to read Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters by Howard Wolk and John Landry. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”