Review of Myrtlewood Memoirs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Review of Myrtlewood Memoirs

Post by abstactlemon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Myrtlewood Memoirs" by Terry Woodall.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Myrtlewood Memoirs by Terry Woodall is exactly as the name describes: a memoir about the hardwood called Myrtlewood. The first part of the book focuses on everything to do with Myrtlewood. It talks about the wood's history, its origin, and the time period when people started using it for woodcraft. It even goes so far as to note religious references to Myrtlewood and its uses in the modern era. After that, Woodall goes on to discuss how he discovered the craft and how it became his passion. He describes his frustrations with his carvings throughout the years, as well as the different experiments he performed and the achievements that got him to where he is today.

I really appreciate how deeply the author delves into his process of learning, as well as the bits and pieces of memory that narrate the story of someone falling in love with their craft. This sentence is a great example of that: "When you get into this rhythm with a carving, it’s like playing the violin." I found it intriguing when he looked back on his earlier projects, except he did so with the perspective of someone who'd gained a significant amount of experience on the topic.

It is easy to feel the passion radiating off the pages while reading. I also really enjoyed the occasional pictures between chapters to give the reader a true sense of the finished pieces Woodall was describing. It was fascinating to see where his craft took him, including places as foreign as Japan.

As many times as Myrtlewood is mentioned, this book isn't just about that. Woodall goes so much deeper, trying to spread a message of hard work, dedication, and success with his story. The memoir aims to inspire. My favorite quote from the book is actually Woodall's mantra: "Be true to who you are and have faith, even blind faith, in the worth of your work." If I'm going to take anything away from this book, it will be that.

I truly can't find anything I dislike about this memoir. I have to give it 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this to curious people who are fans of non-fiction stories that are compelling. This is a very niche interest, but if you're inquisitive enough to pick it up, you'll find it a very enjoyable read. Woodall was able to convey what it's like to have a passion that permeates every aspect of your life, and he does it in an engaging way. Great read.

Myrtlewood Memoirs
View: on Bookshelves
it is what it is ....
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A memoir that talks about a hardwood called Myrtlewood. The author talks about hardwood's history, its origin, when people start using it for woodcraft, and its uses in the modern era. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book. Nice review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This sounds like an amazing book about the author's love for his craft, his dedication and trying to inspire others to follow their dreams. I believe everyone needs this especially when they are not sure of themselves.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

What an excellent review this is. I enjoyed every bit of it; seriously, reading the review makes me hungry for the novel. Nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”