Review of Anna's Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Anna's Story

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anna's Story" by Steven G. Kautner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In 1945, World War II was ending, and many were returning to the regular rhythm of life. But for ethnic Germans, the nightmare was soon to begin. The families that fell into this group were innocent of the crimes instigated by the Nazi party, but they were the ones to suffer the punishment. Ousted from their homes and driven into concentration camps, they suffered the same fate as those tortured by the Nazis. Hundreds did not survive the dismal conditions of the camps or the starvation that left them emaciated and vulnerable to disease. However, some escaped and survived, overcoming extreme odds to start new lives by returning to Austria and Germany. Anna’s Story: A True Story of a Young Girl’s Will to Survive in the Aftermath of World War II is one such tale. Join Anna’s son, Steven G. Kautner, as he shares his mother’s harrowing journey from an eight-year-old girl to a young woman starting a new life after her escape.

I have nothing except positive praise for this heart-wrenching book. First, I’d like to acknowledge the author’s attention to detail and research. Through the use of his mother’s written records of her memories and his extensive studies of the history and politics of Eastern Europe, Kautner successfully brought Anna’s Story to life. I loved learning about Anna through the regular everyday adventures of her young life in the early chapters. I felt like I got to know her family personally, which made it even more devastating to watch them ripped apart by the events that followed the war. Yet, among all the terrible things that happened to her, I loved how this young lady found ways to survive. Whether she was sneaking goat’s milk when the soldiers weren’t looking or catching sparrows so she and the other girls in the concentration camp could have something to eat, Anne’s bravery was admirable, and I appreciated this eye-opening story.

My favorite part of this book was how personal it was. I cried more than once as I witnessed the pain and suffering endured in this remarkable woman’s life. Each event in the story was something Anne remembered while sharing her life with her son later in his adult life. She remembered many heart-warming and humorous memories from her early years, horrific memories from her days in the Molidorf concentration camp, and inspiring memories from her journey to freedom. I had not been aware of the plight of the innocent Germans who suffered this fate, but I am glad to have read the retelling of Anna’s life. This story is as emotional as any World War II memoir of the Jewish Holocaust, but this side of the aftermath is still widely unknown.

Even though there were difficult things to read, there was nothing I disliked about this novel. I noticed fewer than ten typos throughout the 163 pages. I have no reason to reduce the rating, so I give Anna’s Story five out of five stars.

I’d recommend this book to readers who enjoy World War II memoirs. The story reminded me of Corrie ten Boom’s autobiography The Hiding Place or the fictional novel The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. While the author did not get too graphic with his descriptions, there were disturbing scenes that may be hard for sensitive readers to stomach. Still, there were no profanities or erotic content, although it is stated and implied that soldiers and guards raped women in the camps.

Anna's Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Wow, amazing to see the author writing his mother's story on how she was captured at a very young age eight years old precise.l myself have learned some lessons from this novel and I truly commend Anna’s bravery.nice review keep up the good work.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

I like that the author allowed his personality to show. That way it will be easy for readers to connect to his story. Great job.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Through your review, I remember the book The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. It sounds like a similar story. I think I am like you who poured tears while reading this book. It sounds emotional. Thanks for your exciting review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”