Review of a cry in the dark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of a cry in the dark

Post by Huini Hellen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "a cry in the dark" by Terence Ang.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Before reading A cry in the dark by Terence Ang, I had never really understood what victims of stroke and their families underwent. When I read this book, I couldn't stop the tears from falling, especially about Terence's terrible experiences. He was going through his usual home chores when he collapsed on the toilet. When he wakes up, he finds himself in the hospital, incapacitated on the right side of his body. His organs were not sensitive to motor impulses from his brain; for example, his right arm dropped, and his right leg became immobile.

After waking up, Terence started having misunderstandings with the hospital staff regarding his treatment and therapy procedures. For example, his preference for a specific wheelchair led to a hide-and-seek game with the nurses, who constantly exchanged it. He also preferred a higher number of physiotherapies, which the hospital couldn’t grant owing to its limited resources. Terence resolved to rise above the storm of a stroke and ‘live’ again. His first goal was to beat the milestones set for his recovery. Which steps does he lay down? What role can his family, colleagues, and friends play in his recovery?

What I loved most about this book was the inclusion of pictures to complement the author’s narration. The images were done by the author and reinforced his emotions and feelings, drawing my empathy toward his experiences. My favorite image was Terence’s timetable, which highlighted the progress made by Terence in his recovery process. The creative works were done by the author, revealing a man passionate about what he does. In addition, the book is a story within a story. This technique gave the author a window to deviate from his first-person point of view to the third-person omniscient narrator, which gives a reader multiple perspectives on the storyline.

This book merits the maximum rating of five out of five stars for its well-researched concept. Although I found a few typos, they did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. I benefited from the words of affirmation that he shared with the young boy about telling himself positive words. The recommendations are practical and universal for most human beings. They showed how one’s determination to better their situation could work if one puts effort into everything they do.

There is nothing I liked least in this book. I recommend it to stroke survivors and their families or friends. Through it, they will get a first-hand experience of stroke survivors' challenges. This will help them understand how they act, especially when they seem to be set in their ways about something. Doctors and other medical practitioners may also benefit from the author’s insight and improve their therapeutic procedures.

a cry in the dark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Abdulwahab Maryam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdulwahab-maryam.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Abdulwahab Maryam »

Well, i love to read a lot of medical books!
Hope this proves longer benefit.
This is an awesome review to be honest :techie-studyingbrown:
Victor Ayub Migos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

After reading your review, I'm highly motivated to try this medical book. It sounds knowledgeable and somehow interesting. Great review though.
Huini Hellen
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Mikail Nurur-Rahmon wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 11:00 Well, i love to read a lot of medical books!
Hope this proves longer benefit.
This is an awesome review to be honest :techie-studyingbrown:
Thank you for your comment. Happy reading ahead.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Nice review! I happen to know someone who recently had a stroke and decided to take matters into his own hands and program his recovery successfully. Terrence's story is one that many people facing stroke, or other circumstances that are limited by what others think can be accomplished should read. Very inspiring!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think everyone has "cry in the dark" mode. Terence shows that the stroke is just a stroke; not going to lead him to a bad life. The high spirits he has overpass the negative situation he bears in life, which is crucial. This book sounds inspirational, I like it. And I enjoyed your review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 20:13 I think everyone has "cry in the dark" mode. Terence shows that the stroke is just a stroke; not going to lead him to a bad life. The high spirits he has overpass the negative situation he bears in life, which is crucial. This book sounds inspirational, I like it. And I enjoyed your review!
Thank you for the kind words.
Lennox Kuyokwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lennox Kuyokwa »

This review gave a clear insight of what 'stroke' patients go through during the course of treatment and cleared all imaginary in my mind .
Lennox Kuyokwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lennox Kuyokwa »

This review gave a clear insight of what 'stroke' patients go through during the course of treatment and cleared all imaginary in my mind .
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

I admire the author's optimistic spirit. It can be so easy to give up and list excuses when such an illness confronts you in life. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”