Review of Somawise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of Somawise

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Somawise" by Luke Sniewski.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Somawise: Get Out of Your Head, Get Into Your Body was authored by Luke Sniewski. It is a nonfiction book comprising 275 pages. NuMind Ltd published it in 2022. The book poses many questions that help the reader begin to acknowledge the wisdom the body holds and to understand and embrace the proper role of the mind. It provides the resources and fuel anyone would need to finally break down the multilayered walls they have built over time to avoid experiencing the discomfort that accompanies the pain that lies within.

Luke repeatedly reminds us that our bodies are treasure jars and that we should seek to journey into them regularly, rather than the external world or our minds, which are often egotistical and easily take credit for what the body has accomplished. All this would not be possible if we lived in self-denial, and that is why I enjoyed poring over the sixth chapter, which dealt adequately with not just self-acceptance, but radical self-acceptance.

While everyone desires change once they embark on the journey of gaining wisdom about and from the body, there is a warning against the allure of quick fixes and instantaneous results. Luke states categorically that authentic change is the cumulative result of little moments of change, the small choices we make as we shift from our old patterns. Consequently, the exercises he includes in the book invite us to challenge our current limits while giving room for each person to spend enough time in their window of tolerance before plunging into the deep end.

One of the greatest aspects of the book is the author’s authenticity; he embodied vulnerability, choosing to speak the truth rather than sound politically correct or flow with societal waves. I chose this book primarily because the title piqued my curiosity, and I thought I would enjoy reviewing it. In the end, I have been reintroduced to the art of stillness; being still is something I have heard and read repeatedly, especially in the Bible, but it had never hit me as it did in the book.

Owing to the excellent writing and the overall generalizability of the book’s content, I heartily rate it five out of five stars. The editing was exceptionally well done, and I did not find any unlikable aspects. Though the book's primary audience would be men, as it delves deeply into the benefits of vulnerability and authenticity, something most men struggle with, I am certain every adult reader will find something to help them get out of their minds and be in tune with their bodies. In the long run, the transformation experienced affects not only how one relates to oneself, but also how one relates to others, as judgment is replaced with curiosity.

Somawise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

A silent person has the loudest mind. I like that this book help to get out of one's mind and in tune with our body. I also like the title, such a rare one! I never thought it is the content of the book-stillness. Your review is very nice!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

Somawise: Get Out of Your Head, Get Into Your Body is a nonfiction book that poses many questions that help the reader begin to acknowledge the wisdom the body holds and to understand and embrace the proper role of the mind. That's great!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”