Review of Two Minutes For Talking To Myself

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of Two Minutes For Talking To Myself

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Two Minutes For Talking To Myself" by Curt keilback.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

For Canadians, watching their favorite hockey team vie for the Stanley Cup is a national pastime. In Two Minutes for Talking to Myself, Curt Keilback shares personal stories from his time as an NHL (National Hockey League) color commentator for the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes. From players ramming each other into the boards to a coach attempting to climb a barrier to confront an opponent, hockey is a rough-and-tumble sport that is not for the faint of heart. Mr. Keilback describes these moments as an eyewitness to history. He provides a unique perspective on the details behind the scenes and beyond the rink. With decades of experience in the broadcast booth, Mr. Keilback has interviewed Hall of Fame players, coaches, and managers. He has also travelled with the teams. In this book, he reminisces about the many “hockey people” he met along the way.

The cover design features a pale blue background that depicts the ice at a skating rink. A photo of Mr. Keilback doing his job is placed at the center, and the book’s title is framed by two hockey sticks. The title itself is a reference to hockey penalties because players are often given two-minute minor penalties for committing an infraction. The text is separated into five parts. There doesn’t seem to be a theme or particular order with how the parts and stories are presented. The author has a conversational yet concise writing style. In addition to the written accounts, a few photographs are included. There are some suggestive jokes, but they are conveyed in a tasteful manner. The text contains only borderline profanity.

Reading this book was a very personal experience for me. It brought back bittersweet memories of watching Hockey Night in Canada with my late father when we lived in Montréal. I recognized legendary names, like Wayne Gretzky, Don Cherry, Guy Lafleur, Maurice “Rocket” Richard, Gordie Howe, and Bobby Orr. I liked how the author included additional information after some of the stories. This information gave context or drew attention to ironic turns of events. In one instance, the author recounted the humorous story of how he got hired as a broadcaster for the Phoenix Coyotes after the original Winnipeg Jets organization moved to Arizona. He barged into the team president’s office and declared that he was the only man for the job! I appreciated Mr. Keilback’s honest opinions about his work, his colleagues, and the various NHL franchises. He also provided fascinating insights into the fans’ receptions of their favorite teams and the game itself.

I only have one suggestion to make regarding the layout of the book. I would have preferred if the sections and stories were arranged in chronological order rather than switching back and forth between the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. Alternatively, the parts could have been based on a clear theme with a brief explanation at the beginning of each section. Nevertheless, this minor issue did not make the text any less entertaining.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! This is a must-read for hockey fans of all ages! Therefore, I happily award Two Minutes for Talking to Myself by Curt Keilback a rating of five out of five stars. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys sports and memoirs. Older folks will be particularly fond of this trip down memory lane as they consider the many ways that the sport has changed over the years.

Two Minutes For Talking To Myself
View: on Bookshelves
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sounds like a great read for sporty individuals. Though I like memoirs, however, I am not sporty, so this time, I'll skip. Your review is great anyway!
April Rita
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by April Rita »

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! This is a must read for hockey fans honestly! Therefore, I happily thank the author *curt keiback* I happily award *two minutes of talk to myself by curt keiback* a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys sports and memories.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sounds like a great read for sporty individuals. Though I like memoirs, however, I am not sporty, so this time, I'll skip. Your review is great anyway!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

The book sure sounds very interesting, and I like how you dissected the book's cover. However, I'm not so much a hockey enthusiast, so I'll pass.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

In Two Minutes for Talking to Myself, Curt Keilback shares personal stories from his time as an NHL (National Hockey League) color commentator for the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes. Seems interesting!
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A MEMORY BY CURT KEILBACK IN WHICH HE TELLS HIS STORY AS A COLOR COMMENTATOR IN THE NHL (NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE), THE STANLEY CUP IN CANADA, HIS HISTORY, HIS CAREER...
A BOOK FOR FANS OF SPORT AND MEMORY.GOOD REVIEW
Merben Jun Tepan Andojar
Currently Reading: Wack City
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merben-jun-tepan-andojar.html
Latest Review: This May Be Difficult to Read by Claire Rubman

Post by Merben Jun Tepan Andojar »

A book for those people who love hockey. Great book
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

I am eager to delve into the intricacies of hockey and uncover the excitement and nuances that make it such a beloved sport.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Even though I am not a big fan of hockey, this memoir seems very inspiring and compelling. Your review is pleasantly detailed and well-written.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Aditi A
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-a.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aditi A »

This was like nostalgia to me given that I am an enormous Hockey enthusiast. It reminds me of the movie Chak De India! which had a similar approach and conveyed timeless stories of experience, pain and revival. Your review made it even more enticing, this precious memoir is worth reading and re-reading. It is truly a treat for people into sporty and revival-based stories.
Rose Nafula Oketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-nafula-oketch.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Rose Nafula Oketch »

Fans of sports, especially hockey, would really enjoy reading Curt Keilback's book,Two Minutes for Talking to Myself, as it describes how fun it was to be a National Hockey League player in the '80s and '90s, its broadcasting, and his rise to a hockey commentator. It provides many insights about hockey. Congrats BOTD!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 84148
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1172%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖📖📚📖📚 of the day BOTD is non fiction tale about legendary names like John Ferguson,dale hawerchuk the book will entertain hockey lovers and historians the author made the story self contained ready with humor,honest snippet of history he shared over 200 anecdote for NHL players interviews with coaches and managers contemporary broadcasting and hockey issues..such an amazing story it was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅📚 for hockey lovers
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I am not a fan of hockey, and sports are not one of my favourite topics, but I am confident that this book will be more than an enjoyable read for many sports lovers, especially since it covers more than one period of time, and with the author's style, this book is a good choice for BOTD. Enthusiastic review well done.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

"Two Minutes for Talking to Myself by Curt Keilback is a captivating memoir that offers a unique behind-the-scenes look at the world of NHL hockey. With entertaining anecdotes and insightful perspectives, this book is a must-read for all sports enthusiasts. Highly recommended for lovers of sports and hockey. Not my scene tho!
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”