Review of Fear To Freedom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Fear To Freedom

Post by E Daves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fear To Freedom" by Dr Keith L Marshall, PsyD, MHD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book is an autobiography by Dr. Keith L. Marshall, PsyD, MHD. Today, He is the chief executive officer of Dedicato Treatment Center Inc., which happens to be licensed by the California Department of Health Care Services and one of only six percent of all treatment centers in the country with Joint Commission accreditation. But who was he before now? There was a boy who grew into a young man who grew into the adult he is now. There were also some experiences—good, bad, and ugly—that shaped him into the man that he is. In the book Fear To Freedom: From Dumpster to Doctor, Dr. Keith L. Marshall, PsyD, MHD, tells his story.

He was born in West Philadelphia with three other brothers who are close in age. His parents divorced, and he and his brothers remained with their mother in gang-infested Philadelphia. As a middle child, he received less attention from his mother and later received frequent verbal and physical abuse from his stepfather. At the age of seven, his mom hired a babysitter who constantly abused him and his brother sexually. They were also sexually abused by their female neighbors, who were older than them. He had no idea what he was experiencing. He was just a child! When he was a bit older, he indulged in cocaine until it became an addiction.

His story will tear your heart apart. He went through things that no child should ever have to go through. He had no one to turn to or speak to about everything he was feeling. His mother was a young woman with her own problems, trying to raise three young children. She barely provided the attention and listening ear the children needed. In this book, we can see how God works in mysterious ways, as evidenced by how the author's life turned around after all these experiences.

The author was brutally honest about his previous lifestyle. He didn't try to paint a good picture for himself, which would be a lie. He had a rough childhood and did things that were hard to say and more, but he shared them all the way they happened. He is a better man today, and I love that he embraced his past. He was a born leader with true leadership skills. This was manifest from an early stage. He was even a star employee to many, notwithstanding that his crack addiction was taking its toll on him.

This book taught me that the world is a wicked and corrupted place waiting to dim your light. I learned that as a parent, I should pay close attention to my kids because if I don't, there are people ready to give them selfish attention that will ruin their lives. What Dr. Keith experienced as a child is something I would never wish for anyone, no matter their age.

I love the pictures the author occasionally shares in this book. It helped put faces to my imagination while reading it. This book has themes of broken homes and child physical, sexual, and verbal abuse. The author talked about the role of God in his life, how he wasted away dealing with crack addiction, and his miraculous delivery from it all. In this book, you will also learn how destructive fear can be and how much support from family means.

The author's story is both touching and inspiring. You will realize that no matter how bad the situation is or how pathetic your past has been, God still loves you and wants to turn your life around for the better. I recommend this book to anyone who is addicted to any substance. The author ended up going in and out of over 25 mental health and drug and alcohol rehab centers, hiding in shame among trash cans, living on the streets, in crack homes, and in abandoned buildings, and spending time in jail. If he could survive all these and become whole, you too can. If you know anyone who is under this umbrella, please advise them to read this autobiography. There is nothing as real as knowing that you are not alone in your predicament. The knowledge that someone has gone through the same thing as you and emerged victorious is enough motivation. I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars because there was nothing I disliked about it. I encountered only one error in the book, which shows that it was professionally edited.

Fear To Freedom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Abraham Garneo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abraham Garneo »

This book is very interesting and inspiring, because that I have learned from this book is that no matter what you go through into this world there's always a second chance once you believe in God.
Sonie Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonie-daniel.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Sonie Daniel »

The author's story is very inspiring. His success shows that any difficulties in life can be overcome by God's grace. I hope anyone who reads this book finds courage to face whatever challenges life throws at them.
Last edited by Sonie Daniel on 23 Jan 2023, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

A story from dark to light! The author underwent a lot of mistakes, turmoils, and circumstances but he was as strong as the stone! How amazing it is to hear from a dumpster to a doctor! What an inspiration it could bring! This autobiography is a must-read for me. Can't wait! And your review is outstanding!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Wow, such a nicely written, detailed review. I feel so saddened by the experiences that the author went through as a kid, the abuse, the broken home and all. Such events leave a very dark mark in children, a mark that can prove so hard, almost impossible, to erase. I am however pleased that the author was able to heal and become a better person despite his dark past. I like the books message of hope and redemption. Thanks for the review and congratulations.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

It is sometimes underestimated how childhood experiences can affect someone's adult life. I would never wish for any child to experience abuse of any kind, let alone sexual abuse. The author is really a strong person.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

I suppose the pictures that are shared in the book will help anyone reading it visualize what the author is talking about. I for one love it when a book contains some pictures. I love how detailed this review is too.
Lennox Kuyokwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lennox Kuyokwa »

This really inspired me , he stood up to all that he went through and become a doctor . I do not believe it , the journey he went through was God driven , he was just being refined to face future light duties . Honestly speaking , his background was more rough than his current situation .
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

In Fear To Freedom: From Dumpster to Doctor, Dr. Keith L. Marshall tells the story of the hardships he faced growing up in a harsh and wicked world. I admire his courage and honesty in retelling his story.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

One thing I appreciate about this book is that it doesn't just focus on the author's struggles and triumphs, but also provides valuable insights into the nature of addiction and recovery. The author's experiences give readers a unique perspective on what it takes to overcome addiction, and the steps that need to be taken to achieve lasting recovery.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

Fear To Freedom: From Dumpster to Doctor is a powerful and inspiring book that I highly recommend. It is a raw and honest account of one man's journey from the depths of addiction and trauma to a successful career as a mental health professional. If you are looking for a book that will inspire and motivate you to overcome the challenges in your own life, then this is the book for you.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

This book sounds like a raw and emotional read, and I admire the author's bravery in sharing his story. It's important for people to understand the impact of childhood trauma and abuse, and this book seems like it sheds light on that topic.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The inclusion of personal photos in the book is a nice touch and helps to bring the story to life. This book seems like a powerful tool for anyone dealing with addiction or trauma and looking for hope and inspiration.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

The author's honesty and vulnerability in sharing his story is admirable. This book could be a great resource for mental health professionals who work with patients dealing with addiction or trauma.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

I appreciate that the author is open about his faith and how it played a role in his recovery. The author's story highlights the importance of support from family and loved ones during difficult times.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”