Review of Depression Lied To Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of Depression Lied To Me

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Depression Lied To Me" by Stephan Neff.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Depression Lied to Me, created and curated by Stephan Neff, narrated the inspiring stories of fourteen gracefully broken women from different races and backgrounds. The book captures their deadly and overwhelming struggles with depression and the unique means through which they trampled their ugly head to freedom and victory. It sure will bless you immensely.

This book is the most emotional piece I have read in a while now. I shrieked and whined as I encountered Gloria Master's painful account of her bouts with this monster called depression. It just brings to mind the bitter truth that in a supposedly male-dominated world, the girl-child is, more often than not, an endangered specie. This is such a pitiable condition to be in. I could hear the author's loud clarion call for more affectionate nurturers and listeners. This call is for you and me to take a stand in the consistent protection of every girl-child out there. This is because most abuse/assault, especially sexual, begins from the young age of six. It's high time we stop putting motherhood at stake. We can do better.

Another aspect of this book that will positively motivate readers is the way and manner these women tackle depression. I discovered new tips I never thought would help even the most chronic depression case. Some of these tips include music, therapy, humor, and many other interesting ideas that would excite you when you read this book.

I particularly love the section on the "author's bio." This section contains a beautiful picture of each of these women. You should see for yourself. It also tells of the track records of achievements and successes these women have amassed after discovering who they really were. I'm so glad that they all, especially Tamara Waugh, are still thriving in their various businesses, families, purposes, and callings. Indeed, there's a silver lining in every dark cloud.

By reading this book, I have gained great knowledge of what depression truly is and how to tackle it head-on whenever it surfaces. I disliked nothing about this book. I found a couple of mistakes that did not put me in doubt that this piece was well-edited. Therefore, I'd rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I would not recommend this book to anyone sensitive to the subject of rape and sexual assault. But if you are curious to discover new ways to ward off depression permanently, plan to read this book as quickly as possible.

Depression Lied To Me
View: on Bookshelves
Dody Fauzan
Currently Reading: Message in a Bottle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dody Fauzan »

There are life lessons we can learn from writers on wishful thinking
Kyle Singuay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kyle Singuay »

This book is the most emotional piece I have read in a while now. I shrieked and whined as I encountered Gloria Master's painful account of her bouts with this monster called depression. It just brings to mind the bitter truth that in a supposedly male-dominated world, the girl-child is, more often than not, an endangered specie. This is such a pitiable condition to be in. I could hear the author's loud clarion call for more affectionate nurturers and listeners. This call is for you and me to take a stand in the consistent protection of every girl-child out there. This is because most abuse/assault, especially sexual, begins from the young age of six. It's high time we stop putting motherhood at stake. We can do better.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

The storyline of this book seems intriguing and it looks like I would get to learn a lot from it too.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm curious to discover new ways to ward off depression. I like to read this book soon. It seems that the women are inspiring to read though! Thanks for your engaging review! Kudos!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm curious to discover new ways to ward off depression. I like to read this book soon. It seems that the women are inspiring to read though! Thanks for your engaging review! Kudos!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
bookwormnbugz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormnbugz.html
Latest Review: DentistryXposed by Dr. Peter hofmann

Post by bookwormnbugz »

Depression is not fun and is really tough to battle. Books like these could be really helpful and comforting for those struggling with it.

Thank you for your review.
I might give this book a read!
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I love this review and will like to read this book. Thank you.
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

As someone that has battled with depression a lot this past year, I can relate with the stories of the women. What is most important is victory over the feeling!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”