Review of My Side of the Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of My Side of the Story

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Side of the Story" by Efe Patrick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

My Side of the Story by Efe Patrick is a tale of a young girl's journey from childhood into motherhood, sharing the joys and woes of each journey.

As a young girl born into a family of twelve (with the inclusion of her parents), the protagonist navigates her way through life in a Christian home, where she is showered with profound love and affection. In her family, she is deemed important, and her opinions are heard. She grows and leaves her homeland, Nigeria, for Ireland, where nothing is the same as her roots. She settles down with a fellow Nigerian but sees that her marriage is nothing like that of her parents. How does she cope in this foreign land? Is she able to withstand the odds and pull off a successful marriage? Or does the significant disparity in what she grew up with and where she finds herself make her do what seems best?

The writer starts the book with a brief explanation of her roots. It was interesting seeing her dig into the Edo people of Nigeria — their culture, traditions, norms, and values, with some pictures for visual support. This gives readers unfamiliar with these a background knowledge of Nigeria. It'll also promote the ideology of Nigeria being multi-tribal. It's fascinating because many foreigners are only aware of the Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa tribes of Nigeria. Reading this book will change that mindset and show readers more about the cultural vastness of a nation that prides itself as the giant of Africa. It is even possible that readers get intrigued and do more research on their own, increasing awareness.

Efe Patrick immersed the story in many life lessons that'd keep the reader reflecting and pondering. There were lessons on marriage, friendship, values, etc. These would add to the reader's knowledge. The author also made it possible for the reader to relate to the scenarios attached to the lessons.

I experienced a little confusion at some point in the story. Earlier in the story, the half-sibling that came demanding money from the writer's father and closedown of the clinic was Maxwell. However, in the author's recollection of this event, Clifford was used instead of Maxwell. This was confusing, as Maxwell and Clifford are siblings.

The book's first part dragged on quite slowly, unlike the second. Perhaps it was necessary to include so many events in the writer's childhood to understand the circumstances surrounding the values and principles she grew to have. However, this might be boring for the reader.

My Side of the Story was a beautiful read. The narrations were so vivid that it felt like I was living the writer's life. I felt the pain she described and the joyful moments. Unfortunately, the confusing and boring parts would make me rate it three out of five stars. Though there were errors, it was professionally edited. I'd recommend it to anyone who would enjoy a story of pain and struggle.

My Side of the Story
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Wow, 12 siblings! Amazing! It's quite intriguing to know how their family battled in everything. I hope that Efe finds a comfortable life in Ireland. I hope I can read this book soon. Thanks for your amazing review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”