Review of Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Review of Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Post by Atieno Magero »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit" by Deacon Michael Wesley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit is a nonfiction book by Deacon Michael Wesley. The author’s main aim in writing this book is to educate readers on the gifts of the holy spirit and how they are applicable in real life. The book intends to inspire readers to be more spiritual and better their spiritual connection with Jesus.

I like that Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit is a reasonably quick read. It is only 175 pages long and contains 17 chapters in total. I love how well the author explains things in this book. He goes to great lengths to explain to readers the various gifts a Christian can get. Aside from expounding on the gifts of the Holy Spirit mentioned in Isaiah chapter 11, he also touches on the cardinal virtues, the gifts of service, and the Ephesians chapter 4 gifts.

Deacon Michael shares bible verses throughout the book that are good reference points for readers. I like that chapter 16 has helpful verses for Christians dealing with spiritual warfare. He also shares stories and experiences from various people to further elaborate what he is explaining. I admire that he shares his life story in the book. I found his message more relatable when I realized that he had also faced trying moments in his spiritual journey and overcame them. I also like that he shares prayers that readers can use. Deacon Michael dedicates the entire chapter 13 to prayers of forgiveness, which is helpful for readers who struggle with finding the right words in prayer.

I came across a few critique-worthy things while reviewing this book. I noticed that the author does not capitalize pronouns associated with God. I realize it may not bother some people, but I prefer it when reverential capitalization applies to pronouns referring to God. I like that chapter thirteen is dedicated to prayers of forgiveness. However, I have a problem with the forgiving God section. It is hard for me to wrap my head around that section because it implies that God is flawed and makes mistakes.

In summary, I will be giving Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit an overall rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted a star because of the critiques I had previously mentioned. I enjoyed reading this book and learning more about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and how they are applicable in real life. I have to commend Deacon Michael for doing a great job with the writing and editing. I could tell that the author did extensive research when writing Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. I also did not come across any errors whatsoever while reading. Therefore, it is safe to say this book is exceptionally edited.

I recommend Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit to Christian readers. Although it seems mainly targeted toward Catholics, I think any Christian can benefit from reading this book. It is perfect for anyone looking to know more about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and expand their knowledge of the Bible. Given the religious nature of this book, I would not recommend Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit to anyone who is non-religious or of a different faith. It may be hard for people with different religious beliefs to relate to the content.

Discovering the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I always want to expand my knowledge about the Bible. I always want to stay my faith stronger. I always want to hear and read the words of God so in consideration, I will pick this book sooner. I like the content. Thanks for your amazing review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”