Review of The End Justifies the Pain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of The End Justifies the Pain

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The End Justifies the Pain" by John Frederick Zurn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I got the literal understanding of what the quote "making lemonade from the lemons life throws at us" meant when I was reading this book. The End Justifies the Pain by John Frederick Zurn is a book that tells the author's bipolar disorder story, his challenges, encounters, and his road to healing. The author used the name "Bob" as a figurative representation of himself before he lived past the illness. Bob and the author had a dramatic relationship that was hard to break; the author tried moving away from him, but Bob wouldn't let go of him until something happened. Find out in this book what finally made Bob let go, the author's encounter, and the healing tips he has for people fighting the same battle.

My friend would ask anyone selling or advertising a medication to him if he has used or tested it. I use his idea to affirm that the author is fit enough to write this book, having experienced the illness firsthand and survived it. Before I read this book, I had a different judgment concerning people with mental illness. Reading this book opened me to a different world, and I now view people with this illness differently. I felt pity for patients suffering from this illness and what their families have to go through. John has a stalled youth due to his health issues, and he had difficulty living a regular life. He told the story of how he didn't get jobs he was qualified for due to his health records and how they discriminated against him. I didn't blame the recruiter, but his story was tragic. If he hadn't discovered the creativity tips he shared in this book that helped him write this book, he would have lived a wasted life.

I appreciate the author's wife and am thankful to her for standing by him. She is an example of a good woman and a role model for many. Not many women can do what she did; not only did she marry a mentally challenged man, but she took it as her cross to be the sole provider of the home and even put childbearing on hold to avoid a recurrence of her husband's condition.

The author is a good writer, and this is evident in how he moved from writing his memoir to sharing healing tips and then writing poems to tell his story. If he didn't say it himself, it is hard to believe that he once had that challenge. Indeed, his ending justified the pain.

There is nothing I dislike about the book. It is not only an enjoyable read but also an inspiring one full of wisdom. At the end of the book, the author compiles a list of famous people with bipolar disorder. I saw the names of former presidents, painters, and artists who I never knew had similar challenges as the author.

I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because it was professionally edited and written in clear language. I recommend it to people with bipolar disorder and those with challenged families or friends. Also, young adults, therapists, counselors, and readers of good books will be blessed by reading this book.

The End Justifies the Pain
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It’s very good to hear that this memoir was professionally edited. I am not going to read it, though, because memoirs don’t really interest me. I’m sorry he was treated the way he was. Mental illness is not a choice.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I am experiencing the same challenging emotions as the author. It is so inspiring that he boldly wrote this book, and let the world knows and be moved by his life-changing story. I know how hard sometimes to deal with emotions as having this kind of mental issue(which I included in my profile here), but I must stay positive, and be a blessing and inspiration to others. I like to read this book to support him. Sending warm hugs to the author! And I adore your review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like a book that will take one on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I empathize with the author for what he went through. Bipolar disorder is a big challenge that is not easy for one to bear. I'm glad for this inspiring book he wrote to motivate others going through the same phase.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Bipolar disorder is a very serious health problem, if not well taken care of can lead to other things. The author's wife is a strong woman, standing by her husband and taking care of him.
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

Mental health disease is a serious global health burden, and people suffering from it sometimes are segregated. Bob being affected by bipolar disease is a major concern. Hope he survives and breaks free completely.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Wow! This is a great story, and I know people who are facing this or related to anyone facing this will be able to learn from this. I’ve only heard bipolar in story books and novels. It’s my first time seeing someone that actually has it. I enjoyed your review! Well done!
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

Bipolar disorder is a serious health problem, this is an interesting memoir to read. It will be nice to learn from someone who has passed through this illness. Nice review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book has a wonderful title that bring alot to light but i don't really know if this qoute or statement works in all cases.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Memoirs are full of life lessons that readers can learn from, I enjoyed this wonderful review, and I will like to add the book to my TBR
Anna Cesar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anna Cesar »

Hi!! I just joined the Review Team and this was a very interesting review! I will definitely read it at some point, sounds like an intriguing and beautiful story!!
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I am eager to read the memoir because it sounds promising and has lessons to from. Great review, well done.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

The End Justifies the Pain by John Frederick Zurn is a book that tells the author's bipolar disorder story, his challenges, encounters, and his road to healing. I admire the author's bravery to be able to retell the story.
Jay Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: 1942 When British Rule In India Was Threatened by Krishna Kumar

Post by Jay Alex »

I imagine how difficult it was for the author to get himself free from his disorder. It is a relief that he was able to get his life back.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”