Review of Enemies of Africa: Second Edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Review of Enemies of Africa: Second Edition

Post by Eunice Geres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Enemies of Africa: Second Edition" by Jaiden Baynes.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Enemies of Africa: Second Edition by Jaiden Baynes is a collection of information and facts about the history of abuse, discrimination, and inhumane acts that Africa has endured. It is written to expose those countries that took advantage of Africa and its people. This book sheds light on the different types of slavery, how they started, and the types of racism prevalent in our time. The history lessons taught in schools often omit the story of the African people and how they were degraded by those who enslaved them. This book will bring awareness to those who want to learn about the so-called Enemies of Africa.

One of the main purposes of this book is to encourage readers to learn more about a part of history that’s not talked about enough. Racial discrimination has been around for so long. In my opinion, it is a society's sickness that can never be gone because every time someone speaks out about awareness, it is always met with resistance. An example of this was when the "Black Lives Matter" movement was met with "All Lives Matter." But I believe that books like Enemies of Africa can influence and bring awareness to people who didn’t even realize that they weren't aware of the racial discrimination surrounding our time. So, I truly appreciated the fact that the author’s goal is for readers to learn more.

What I liked most about this book is that the author kept me interested throughout the book. This book was filled with history lessons that were both gut-wrenching and fascinating. The discussion about the goriness aspect of slavery was hard to read. But reading about the author’s discussion about the subjugation of the poor, types of racism, the stupidity of the KKK, and other topics truly caught my attention.

The author’s writing style contains the use of informal words such as "bunk," "um, actually," and "swell." Every chapter is filled with emotion and sarcasm. Some passages even sound a little condescending. I initially thought this type of writing style was not suited for a book based on facts and history. It’s easy to become biased when an author writes with emotion. However, as I went deeper into the book, I realized I understood the importance of this book more because I could feel the author’s passion in his writing tone and style.

There was nothing I disliked in this book. So, I’m rating it 5 out of 5 stars. This book has been shocking. There were many events that I didn’t even know had happened in the past. Like the controversy about the Arrogante slave ship, the letter sent by the King of Congo, prominent people who supported the idea of eugenics, and many more. The author managed to compile interesting facts that would keep the reader fascinated throughout the book. The book is also professionally edited, as I only noticed a few errors.

I would suggest this book to anyone interested in Black history. It’s a topic that’s often left out of our history lessons. I would also suggest this book to people who want to learn more about racism back then and how it is today.

Enemies of Africa: Second Edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think that's what my sister said about the Arrogante slave ship, where people were shipped for slavery. I've heard some Black History from my sister and it was so unfair before. Racial discrimination is still present today and I hope sooner it will erase. I hope for equality for everyone. Thanks for your informative review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

At first glance, I thought this was a children's book. Anyway, Africa has been and continues to be taken advantage of by the west. All these shenanigans do need to be brought to the fore. I do hope Africans will stand up and fight back.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”