Review of E.A.T. An unconditional decade in the life of a cancer patient

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amandaruth Ama
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Review of E.A.T. An unconditional decade in the life of a cancer patient

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "E.A.T. An unconditional decade in the life of a cancer patient" by Kathy Mydlach Bero.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kathy is an adventurous woman with two daughters (EmmaGrace and Hannah). She likes to go mountain climbing with her husband, and they go on various expeditions and adventures. In 2005, she was diagnosed with rare and aggressive breast cancer. Before then, the time she was pregnant with her kids was her worst. It was as if the pregnancy was not meant for her. This book is about her fight against cancer. We go through the years with Kathy and her family as they support her, through the highs and lows, through one doctor's appointment after another, through many difficult days due to the effects of radiation, through years of pain, and then to victory.

Kathy's introduction to the Angiogenesis Foundation (AF) was facilitated by her friend Larry Mullen, Jr. The Massachusetts-based non-profit organization's mission is to advance antiangiogenic treatment strategies for chronic and inflammatory illnesses using a combination of dietary methods, established medications, and cutting-edge drugs. Now, Kathy has established NuGenesis, where she empowers patients and their loved ones to integrate the principles of food as medicine into their daily meals.

Kathy is such a talented writer and storyteller. Once I started reading this book, I could not avert my eyes from it again. The level of detail she gives and how she weaves her story are all heartwarming and amazing! In this book, you will learn a lot about cancer treatments, drugs, side effects, etc., as the author describes her experiences and symptoms in great detail. I had no idea that "chemo brain" was a thing. I learned that in this book. The book was written in the form of journal entries from different periods in her life, and the story spanned ten years.

I'm so surprised at how much of a connection an animal could have with a human. Kathy's horse, Simon, was one of a kind, always spotting things about her that she didn't know, like the two times she was pregnant or when she developed cancer. Apart from Kathy, I found her daughters to be the strongest people I know. EmmaGrace was old enough to understand just a little of what her mom was going through, and she supported her like an adult. There were times when the kids at school didn't make it easy for her, but EmmaGrace still remained a super girl for her mom till the end.

I love the quotes that were sometimes shared in the book. They are calm and inspiring. This story has taught me to be limitless. It doesn't matter what you are going through. Keep doing your best, working towards your goals, and helping people. After reading this book, I had a moment of reflection. If Kathy can go through this and emerge strong, so can I. I'm not even a cancer patient, so what's my excuse?

The only problem I had while reading this book was that it didn't have page numbers, which made it very difficult for me to find some places or go back to where I had stopped previously. It is, however, a minor drawback and not enough to affect the perfect rating that this book deserves. Hence, I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars. I found only one minor error while reading the book. This shows that it was professionally edited.

Normally, I would recommend E.A.T. An Unconventional Decade In The Life Of A Cancer Patient by Kathy Mydlach Bero to cancer patients as an inspiration for them to know that they are not alone. But I would also recommend it to anyone who has limiting ideas. If anything is holding you back from achieving your full potential, read this book. Kathy's life story will give you the push you need. The author gave recommendations for foods at the end of the book. Such foods can help you get miles away from chronic illnesses. This is especially helpful so that anyone who reads the book can start taking action toward healthy eating immediately.

E.A.T. An unconditional decade in the life of a cancer patient
View: on Bookshelves
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

Cancer is a dreadful illness that no one is supposed to suffer alone. Kathy was lucky to have strong people that stuck with her till the end. This is an interesting and engaging book. Thank you for your review.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

I'm glad that the Kathy came out victorious in the end. She's a brave fighter and survivor. I'm curious to learn more about chemo brain.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Books on healthy tips and mind tips are super informative and Educative to read on. I'm looking forward to reading the book. Honest review.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

Kathy has made me to remember my stepmother who also embarks on adventures on weekly bases. I will love to read more about this woman. Good job.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

I always love to read books on adventure because I learn a lot from them. Kathy has been made to believe that what men can do women can also do them. Good job.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

The boom sounds interesting and captivating. This is my kind of book because I love going on adventures a lot. I will give this a try. Good job on this review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Though I'm not a fan of adventurous book but this one sound interesting because Kathy has proven to be strong. Good job on this review.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I'm so impressed by Kathy's resilience and strength in the face of such a challenging illness. Her story is truly inspirational, and I can't wait to read the book. It's amazing to hear about how Kathy's horse Simon played such an important role in her life and health journey. Animals truly have a special connection with us humans.
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

Wow, this is such an insightful and heartfelt review of Kathy Mydlach Bero's book.The level of detail in the author's storytelling is truly impressive and engaging.It's amazing how Kathy's story shows the strength and resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I haven't tried mountain climbing and I would like to try that out. The fact that Kathy did not leave her children out in all the fun is commendable and I also like that this book serves as a source of inspiration. Nice review.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

I appreciate the way the author weaves in quotes and inspirational messages throughout the book. It's inspiring to hear about Kathy's journey and how she overcame cancer.The way Kathy integrates food as medicine into her treatment plan is truly innovative and empowering.I'm glad the book was professionally edited and that the author's writing was polished and error-free.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

This review has definitely convinced me to add E.A.T. An Unconventional Decade In The Life Of A Cancer Patient to my reading list. I'm amazed by Kathy's strength and courage throughout her cancer journey. It's wonderful to hear about the support and love that Kathy's family provided during such a difficult time.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html

Post by Samuel Songs »

The author's writing style and attention to detail really bring Kathy's story to life.
I appreciate that the book provides recommendations for healthy eating to help prevent chronic illnesses.
This review has really piqued my interest in learning more about antiangiogenic treatment strategies and their potential benefits.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

This is a touching story. Reading from someone who has combatted cancer is intriguing. This is a disease that many had died from. But she is here as a survivor, I am thankful for her.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”