Review of My Passion Became My Obsession

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Jason's Magic Journeys by Sylvia Hebden

Review of My Passion Became My Obsession

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Passion Became My Obsession" by Doris Cowan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There's a thin line between passion and obsession. When stretched, it could become disastrous. Doris Cowan was considered "the boy" amongst her female siblings. She was always seen working hard with her dad. When he died, she moved away from her family to heal and carve a path for herself. She became a fitness enthusiast and trainer. To be a role model for her clients, she kept herself in top shape, training for three hours seven days a week.

When an interview about a book, Fit but not Healthy, was aired, several clients called Doris to point out the striking similarities between her situation and that of the writer. Being fit doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy. After attending a fitness expo, Doris's body was so weak. She had to undergo surgery where pins and plates would be inserted. This was when her "fit but healthy" lifestyle took a turn for the worse. Soon after the operation, with a plaster on her wrist, she did pushups without letting her injury heal. She contracted osteomyelitis. With everything going on, Doris wanted to remain fit. She had an obsession. When she couldn't get her regular exercises done, she developed an eating disorder to avoid gaining weight.

My Passion Became My Obsession: My Journey with Anorexia Nervosa in My 40s by Doris Cowan is an insightful and heartwarming read. My first positive aspect of this book is the author's strength and courage. All memoirs and autobiographies demonstrate a certain amount of courage. I am more particular about this book because the author displayed a lot of vulnerability. Knowing that she could be judged for her actions, she still took a chance to detail her journey to prevent people from making the mistakes she made. In this book, there are pictures to back up her claims. This made this book authentic, and it also made the author more vulnerable. The pictures are not pleasant, and it takes a lot of courage to show the world an unpleasant version of yourself.

I liked how insightful this book was. I learned a lot about the body's anatomy and weight. For example, I got to understand that people could stay fit without being healthy. Also, when the body's fat percentage is too low, women stop seeing periods. In the long run, this could be a fertility problem. Also, this book was motivating and heartwarming. The introduction of Kathy into Doris's life did a lot of wonders. It made me realize how much we need to be away from toxic environments. While Doris Cowan indulged in some bad habits, the absence of love caused more harm to her. Everyone needs love. In the presence of love, we find the courage to do better. In addition, a very important lesson I learned was never to ignore the red flags. The signs were there, but Doris ignored them. While they may have seemed little, they progressed to a more destructive level.

There's nothing I disliked about this book. It was perfectly edited. I only came across two errors in it. Without a doubt, this book deserves a perfect rating. I rate this masterpiece 5 out of 5 stars. I heartily recommend it to people with eating disorders and obsession about their weight.

My Passion Became My Obsession
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I think body weight/image is a topic that a lot of people can relate to, no matter their size or shape. I love learning from other people's experiences but I'm not too sure about the photos you described. I don't think they are something I want to see as I am a very queasy person.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

There is indeed a thin line between passion and obsession. Doris did not really deal with the passing of her dad but buried herself in her fitness career. Great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”