Review of There is no MUSIC

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Review of There is no MUSIC

Post by Bef Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There is no MUSIC" by Lula Kirk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There Is No Music is a book by Luka Kirk about Crystal Ann, a young child who grew up in a setting devoid of happiness, peace, security, love, trust, patience, and loyalty. The story is based on actual events. She was often told as a young child that she acted strangely. This was a result of her being so reserved. Crystal's parents practiced sharecropping, so they weren't wealthy people. At the young age of seven, she began picking cotton to assist her parents on the farm. Throughout her life, Crystal has witnessed a great deal of trauma. How is she going to find happiness and hope in the face of so many obstacles?

I enjoyed reading this book. At first, I wasn't sure what the book's title signified or how the author had come up with it, but as I read through the book, the title began to make more sense to me. There was so much suffering and struggle in Crystal's life. Nobody would want to experience what Crystal did. She practically spent her entire life switching from one bad family to another. Such emotional and psychological scars could never heal. One lesson I learned from reading this book is that we should never judge people just based on how they appear on the outside or behave in public. I also learned that we should not tolerate disrespect to the extent that it becomes usual for us; instead, we should bravely face life since what we do today influences our future. I like the author's thoroughness in outlining events that took place as she was writing this book. The storylines weren't extremely complex or drawn out. I admire the author's honesty and bravery in sharing her tale in such a straightforward manner.

There are a lot of aspects of this book that I didn't like. First of all, there were just too many grammatical errors in the book for them to be ignored. This indicates that the book was not properly edited. Secondly, because most discussions were written using African American English, it was difficult to understand the grammar style used, especially from chapter 1 to chapter 9. Additionally, some readers may find the book's realistic descriptions of some characters' violations horrific and traumatizing.

The aforementioned reasons are why I will rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Although it contained a message for the readers to understand, I felt that not enough effort was made to try to convey the point to a variety of readers, especially in the book's conversations. I also found too many errors while reading this book.

I recommend this book to adults and young adults who love to read books about real-life events. This book contains lessons that may be beneficial to readers. This book contains profanities, so it is suitable for mature readers only.

There is no MUSIC
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I found Crystal's standard of living relatable to me since my parents are farmers. But why she got trauma? What are those life events that made her traumatic? This is intriguing.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

This is a captivating storyline and I will love to read this book. Crystal is a character that I'm curious to know more about. I love this review,it was insightful.
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

There Is No Music written by Luka Kirk is about Crystal Ann, a young child who grew up without happiness, peace, and love. I hope she learns to find hope again.
Clara Tom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clara-tom.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Clara Tom »

This book was lively and I really enjoyed how the author directed all the points in a way that the authors will understand easily. I hope to read this book soon as it was really enjoyable.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”