Review of Just Call me a Gardener

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Unsung Hero by Margaret Best

Review of Just Call me a Gardener

Post by Vivian Writes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Call me a Gardener" by Jim Black.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Just Call Me a Gardener and Other Wonders Along the Way by Jim Black is a collection of Jim's thoughts and past experiences. In the book's opening pages, Jim Black poetically and personally describes flowers and gardens. He displays exotic images of stunning plants in and around his yard. He mentions plants like white garlic, mustard blossoms, columbines, jonquils, hyacinths, and purple hesperis.

Jim Black briefly outlines his family's history, including their immigration from Ireland, Canada, and then to Chicago. He offers us a thorough account of his grandparents' love affair in the succeeding chapters, from their early years as single people to their regular letters, their marriage, and finally, their unavoidable passing.

Due to the realistic descriptions of the events, the section of the book narrating his grandparents’ story was highly exciting. By making their letters and photos available, he gave a more intimate glimpse into what their life together was like, which I found inspiring. The author assigned a different heading to each chapter. "Karaoke Mi Amor" was one of my favorite chapters, and I discovered that the word "karaoke" actually means "audio torture" in Japanese, which I was unaware of earlier. The several other seemingly mundane facts the author included in the book made it a more wholesome read.

The author shared most of his experiences and life-changing moments in a poetic style that was almost lyrical but also mimicked prose. I found his writing style to be a good blend of the different genres. I found one of the tales about how he was forced to watch his grandson, Grayson, every Tuesday of the week to be an amusing and insightful story about how soft-hearted the author truly is. As he observed his young grandson grow and develop, he was able to pick up new skills and adjust to a completely different outlook on life. The trip to Ecuador was also an enjoyable and energizing experience; this story will particularly appeal to readers who enjoy adventure stories.

Overall, this is an interesting read. The author's style of writing was clear and flowed seamlessly. Reading further will help readers realize and appreciate the beauty of life and how much our world has changed. As a person born in an era when television was just making its debut, Jim Black was able to give us a good transition from the times of paper and letters to this new era of technological advancements. I enjoyed every bit of the book. I noticed a few punctuation errors, which did not interfere with my reading. It is safe to say this was a professionally edited book, and I would be pleased to give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars since I found no part of the book I disliked. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy poetry, essays, and interesting short stories. 

Just Call me a Gardener
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I enjoy reading about people's real life stories and this sounds like a fascinating book. Thanks for the nice review.
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Temple Of Truth And Lies by James Duvall

Post by Baggett Yori »

As a prospective reader, "Just Call Me a Gardener and Other Wonders Along the Way" by Jim Black sounds like a delightful and heartfelt collection of thoughts, experiences, and reflections. Through poetic descriptions of flowers and gardens, coupled with personal anecdotes and family history, the book offers a rich tapestry of storytelling that is both intimate and inspiring. The author's attention to detail, from the exotic plants in his yard to his grandparents' love affair, provides readers with a vivid and immersive reading experience. The blend of lyrical prose and insightful storytelling creates a captivating narrative that explores themes of family, love, and the beauty of life.
Amanda Kenneth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

"Just Call Me a Gardener" by Jim Black shares personal experiences and poetic reflections on flowers like white garlic, mustard blossoms, columbines, jonquils, hyacinths, and purple hesperis.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”