Review of Weary, Burdened, and Burned Out

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Trusting People by Guy De Furia Ph D

Review of Weary, Burdened, and Burned Out

Post by Vivian Writes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Weary, Burdened, and Burned Out" by Christopher A. Bassett, DMin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How do we know when we are burned out? Weary, Burdened & Burned Out by Christopher Bassett is a book that tells a story about the author and other individuals in ministerial work and their burnout experience. Christopher Bassett is a church pastor and military and police chaplain. He opens up with how his burnout began and how he felt miserable. As he illustrated, a burnout phase is like being on a treadmill, running, and putting in a lot of effort, yet being in the same place. From his own experience, he differentiates the burnout feeling from that of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

His sadness worsened during the COVID-19 pandemic when churches and schools were instructed to close down while some irrelevant places remained open. The movement of the church and ministry seemed to have been impeded, and pastors had to find something else to do. He went to study, and this gave him a sense of joy. Even when he was away from his family, he was figuring out his life situation and seeking a way to overcome his burnout. But burnout can be a tasking battle to fight. How does he tackle his burnout, and what does he have to teach other people in the ministry?

Weary, Burdened & Burned Out consists of 10 chapters and about 260 pages. Each story and chapter is accompanied by passages from the Bible to help guide readers. The author writes in a beautiful way to keep readers interested and seeking answers to emotional exhaustion. I like that the author exposes the difficulties of the ministerial work so that people can understand that pastors and chaplains have problems too. His approach to the issue of burnout is authentic and encourages solidarity and vulnerability.

The author’s focus included pastors and people in ministerial service. While his intention of helping people who might be in his shoes was clear, especially owing to his background, I thought that several teachings in the book could help anyone going through a burnout phase. The anger spurred by burnout that the author mentioned isn’t peculiar to just pastors, and he provided tips to help navigate such negative emotions, which could be beneficial to anyone regardless of their religion. The author also acknowledged the need for professional help, giving him extra points for ingenuity and responsibility, as emotions can't always be wished away by religion or faith.

I rate Weary, Burdened & Burned Out five out of five stars because, in addition to not finding any errors, there was nothing I disliked about it. It is an educational and inspirational book, and there's a lot of value in its message. Carefully mentioning suicides, the author shows how it shouldn't be an option when one feels depressed or tied down. I recommend this book to pastors, chaplains, other individuals in the ministry, and Christians who may be carrying a burden in their life. This book provides a friend for readers who feel like they are in the dark and shines a light on the path of self-rediscovery.

Weary, Burdened, and Burned Out
View: on Bookshelves
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Pendulum Charts Contact Your Angelic Team by Raven Shamballa

Post by Michael Valentine »

I would love to read this book to learn a little bit about pastors. Thank you for your review.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I think from Christopher burnout experience, there will be so much to learn from it. It interests me to find it out by reading this book. Thanks for the feedback.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

In this book, the author exposes the difficulties of the ministerial work so that people can understand that pastors and chaplains have problems too. Great review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

I love the title of this book and I will add add it to my bookshelf ASAP. The title explains itself here. Thanks for this admirable review of yours.
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

Having burnout is a very exhausting experience. I could relate to the author of the book. I might try to check this one out.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”