Review of Quest: Finding Freddie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Quest: Finding Freddie

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Quest: Finding Freddie" by Thomas Richard Spradlin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Following the assassination of General Murtala Muhammed in February 1976, Nigeria was thrown into a state of emergency. Public executions happened rather often. That same year, Jewish sentiments were stronger in the sub-Saharan region after "Israel’s Entebbe Rescue Mission."

Mr. Frederick David Nachman of the Nachman International Trading Corporation (NITC) disappeared on August 14, 1976, at the Federal Palace Hotel in Lagos. He was in the country to seal a five-year telecommunications plan between his company and the Nigerian government. On August 14, which happened to be the Jewish Sabbath, Mr. Nachman went for a walk and never returned to his hotel room. It was quite frightening because Mr. Nachman, who is a Jew, is in an environment that shares some resentment and sentiments towards the Jewish community due to some political issues. His wife was very distraught about the issue and immediately employed their attorney from the Clifford and Warnke law firm, Mr. Thomas Richard Spradlin, to go in search of her husband and possibly return him back home. Mr. Spradlin took the initiative and headed back to Lagos in search of Mr. Frederick Nachman.

While in Lagos, he was faced with many dangerous situations but still managed to keep his fate alive. What happened to Mr. Nachman? Who would think to make him disappear, and whatever for? Grab a copy of Quest: Finding Freddie by Thomas Richard Spradlin to find out more.

The names of the main protagonists have been changed for privacy even though the book is based on real events. The 320-page book tells the reader in great detail about the author's exploits in Lagos. This book was so fascinating and intriguing that I finished it in only a few days. The author has a great sense of humor, which he incorporated into the story. His writing style is rich and fluent.

In Lagos' Swedish and US embassies, Mr. Spradlin encountered a roadblock. Despite being fully aware of Mr. Nachman's disappearance, the Swedish government chose not to take any action because, according to reports, he had been living in America for thirty years and had been married to an American. They claim he was simply a citizen by name and had not demonstrated any loyalty to the Swedish government.

On the other hand, because Mr. Nachman only had a permanent residency in the US and is not a legitimate citizen because he never filed for citizenship, the American embassy likewise declined to help with the issue. I felt upset and disappointed as I read further. It was annoying because they paid little or no attention to such a life-threatening situation. This further heightened the tension because I was interested in learning how Mr. Spradlin would solve the case.

One thing I loved about this book was the author's sincerity when talking about the country. I enjoyed the way he interacted with the citizens and how much effort he put into learning their local vernacular, "pidgin" English. I also loved how he explained some local terms for everyone's understanding. The author's attention to detail was top-notch, and he spiced up the story by being very descriptive. I was never bored while reading, and the suspense was just right.

The time frame for the story was during the glory days of Nigeria. when the country's economy wasn't so bad. While reading, I was quite surprised to find out that the Nigerian naira was higher than the dollar in that era. I realized the drastic changes the country has undergone over the years.

I was very impressed with everything in this book. The book is educational, as there are in-depth discussions on Nigerian history and politics. I had never heard of the Israeli rescue mission in Uganda before, but I got to learn about that incident from this book. The author did a great job with character development. There was no character that was left behind. He made sure to give a detailed description of their mannerisms and physical appearance, which made my imagination broader.

With all the reasons I have stated, I have no reason to give this book a lesser rating. Quest: Finding Freddie by Thomas Richard Spradlin gets a perfect rating of five out of five stars. I only found a few dialogue errors, which did not affect the book's professional editing.

I recommend this book to those who love historical nonfiction, adventure, and political books. This book is rich in culture and diversity and will certainly hold the attention of readers.

Quest: Finding Freddie
View: on Bookshelves
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

Amazing piece of work! I like how this is in sync to the reality of Nigerian history. You did a great job
Mastan0001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mastan0001 »

The book was amazing
I love to read the books which are related to history
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Historie books are informative especially when they center on a past hero life. I long reading through the pages of the book. Beautiful review.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

This book will be very educational in terms of teaching history. I'm in love already. I can't wait to start reading. Thanks for the invite with a catchy opening paragraph.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an intriguing book about Nigerian politics. I love the important themes explored in this book. Thanks for the insightful review.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

I'm amazed by the actions or rather inactions of the Swedish and the American government regarding the search for Freddie.
This must be an interesting book to read. I hope Freddie was found alive.
Thanks for the inviting review.
Excel Chisom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-chisom.html
Latest Review: Becoming Athena by Katherine Lore

Post by Excel Chisom »

Wow...Nice review I love how you started this review. Every single line was interesting till I got to "What happened to Me Nachman" . And I'm definitely checking this book after now
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and educative book that contains a lot of politics. I'm not really a fan of political books but I like that you summarises the book in a way that encourages readers to pick it up. Wonderful review.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

The story seems to unravel past happenings in Nigeria during such critical times. You did a thorough analysis of the book.
Shedrack A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

This book would be suitable for lovers of historical nonfiction. Mr. Spradlin's task is not an easy one but I hope he succeeds.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

Your review was just too wonderful. I really enjoyed reading it and I think the book would be worth my while. Nice job.
Okezie Tochi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okezie-tochi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Okezie Tochi »

Wow what a nice review this really helped me know more about this Nigerian history, wow nice can't wait to read this book.
Okezie Tochi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okezie-tochi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Okezie Tochi »

Wow what a nice review this really helped me know more about this Nigerian history, wow nice can't wait to read this book.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book is a captivating and thought-provoking read. The author's writing style is engaging and the storyline is compelling, drawing the reader in from the very first page. I found myself fully immersed in the characters and their struggles, and the themes explored throughout the book left me with much to reflect on long after finishing. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a great read."

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”