Review of Inner Trek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Review of Inner Trek

Post by Donald Kelvin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inner Trek" by Mohan Ranga Rao.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Inner Trek by Mohan Ranga Rao is one book I enjoyed reading and, indeed, the most informative book I've read this year. It is a nonfiction work written by the author detailing his pilgrimage to Kailash Manasa Sarova and the circumstances prompting this journey. The book begins with Jalli Jagdish, a land mafia who encroaches on Mohan's property and means to force him to sell off his land at a price lower than what it's worth. A very scared Mohan relays the threat to his wife, Mamatha, who takes him to their sanctum to pray for a way out. While in the sanctum, his wife, Mamatha, makes him vow to visit Kailash Manasa Sarova if his problems are solved amicably. Fortunately, a contact he obtains from his new lawyer takes charge of the property and gives him a fair compromise.

Mamatha constantly reminds him of his vow to Lord Shiva, which Mohan does not want to adhere to. Instead, he builds a temple and partakes in many rituals, but none of this can stand in for the vow he was to take. Two years later, after giving it some thought and hearing his wife's constant reminders, he decides to redeem his vow. The pilgrimage involves a circumambulation of Mount Kailash at an altitude of 18000 feet and a dip in the lake at Manasa Sarova. This book would detail all their adventures, experiences, and stories concerning the pilgrimage. I'm so happy I encountered this book; it was an excellent piece of writing.

The pilgrimage to Kailash Manasa Sarovar is something people should visit in their lifetime. Although I do not belong to any of the four religions that consider the mountain pious, reading this book made me feel the importance of the writing and the experiences the pilgrims had. One of my favorite parts to read in this book was the narration of the time at the holy lake. I could feel beauty and peace just from the descriptions. The author is a genuinely skilled narrator. Before coming across this book, I hadn't heard of this pilgrimage before, but now I can fully boast of my knowledge of it to an extent.

The book was a simple one to follow; the only things that might pose a little difficulty might be the foreign terms that appear in the story, but for me, they added to the story's mystique and taught me a few things concerning the author's background. However, the glossary at the end of the story would also go a long way in aiding the audience. Something worthy of commendation in this book was the pictures it contained; it would go a long way in helping the audience know more about the pilgrimage and other exciting things being described. The story flowed at a fantastic pace, giving readers a modest amount of time to adjust to the various events happening at different times.

I garnered no dislikes against this story. It was somewhat educational, informative, and entertaining. It was not too severe and pious, as books on pilgrimage often are, but it contained infusions of humor that would keep the audience glued to the pages of this beautiful work. I discovered a few errors in the course of reading; however, I believe this book was professionally edited. Kudos to the author for his fantastic creativity; I look forward to reading more from him.

Inner Trek by Mohan Ranga Rao receives a complete rating of 5 out of 5 from me for being a perfect combination of adventure, piety, humor, and information. I recommend this book to audiences interested in adventure, nonfiction, and books on pilgrimage.

Inner Trek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I haven't read books on pilgrimage yet. It looks like it is fun to read about this activity with their beautiful and interesting adventure. Besides, the title is very catchy. I like trek anyway. I enjoyed your review! Perfect!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

This is an interesting book about devotion to one's religion. I hope the pilgrimage went well and he was able to solve his land issue amicably.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Mohan's story of his pilgrimage to Kailash Manasa Sarovar seems quite interesting and educative. This review makes me want to go on a pilgrimage as well. Great review.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Thanks for your review. You did a great job of explaining this book in details
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This is not my kind of read. Though it seems very thoughtful but then I will skip it your review is very clear.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

It's good to get a good wife. Mohan's wife did well to help her husband. It's also good to keep one's vow no matter how small. Great review.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

I've not read this book but your review was really comprehensive. I enjoyed every part of it as it was informative and inspiring.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

I can completely relate to this book. The holy shrine Kailash Manasarovar has utmost importance in Hindu religion. It is also considered one of the toughest treks in the world with deep ascents and descents. I would love to read the experience of the author and be a part of his adventure through this book. Congrats on BOTD.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

What an original topic. It's fascinating that people from most religions practice pilgrimages, and I don't think one needs to be religious to appreciate the spiritual and physical journey. Thank you!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

The cover with the snowy mountains already talks to me. I look forward to reading about this adventure, this pilgrimage. The fact that there is humor as well in the writing style is an additional plus.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Inner Trek by Mohan Ranga Rao sounds like an incredible journey, blending adventure and spirituality. The mix of personal challenges, devotion, and the promise fulfilled makes me eager to embark on this literary trek.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Inner Trek by Mohan Ranga Rao is an Indian businessman's journey to self-discovery while on a pilgrimage to Kailash Manasarovar. The vow Mohan took in return for an amicable resolution to his property dispute made him a reluctant pilgrim on the Himalayas. I am very curious to read the rest of the book to know what happened next in Mohan and Mamatha's life and how his trek changed his life. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Prince Ekeoma
Currently Reading: The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Prince Ekeoma »

"Inner Trek" by Mohan Ranga Rao. An interesting nonfiction book, talks about the author's pilgrimage to Kailash Manasa Sarova and the circumstances prompting this journey. This book has details of adventures, experiences, and stories concerning the pilgrimage. The pilgrimage should be not only to be read or heard but should also be visited. Congrats on your #BOTD.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The memoir appears to be a combination of a physical adventure and a spiritual quest. It seems to be a useful and inspiring travel guide for pilgrims looking to revitalize their body and spirit.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”