Review of A Disciple's Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Lee Rose
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of A Disciple's Journey

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Disciple's Journey" by John T. Leach.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Disciple's Journey: 26 Devotional Studies to Draw You Closer to Jesus is a nonfiction book by John T. Leach. This is a book that Christians seeking to grow spiritually will truly be thankful for.

The book began with what God wants. It dissected God's desire for us. His desire is for us to wholeheartedly conform to Him. This was revealed by His act of sending His only beloved son, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins. To enjoy a fulfilling relationship with God, we will need to serve Him with all our hearts and make Him our number one priority. The book used the story of the prodigal son as a case study. The prodigal son migrated to a foreign land, lived an evil life, and then returned to his father. His father was happy, and as such, he welcomed him back. This symbolized how God would forgive our shortcomings if we returned to Him with a contrite heart. Readers were made to know that in their service to God, they cannot be lukewarm because God detests such a stance. They must follow him wholeheartedly. Having any idols in our lives will impair our devotion to God. The book examined the Beatitudes and how we can utilize them in our journey of being God's disciples. Several steps to take and habits to form that will help us in our Christian lives were outlined. Pick up a copy of this book to discover all of them.

The author brought to the attention of readers that being passive in the face of temptation would not lead to anything favorable. He dissected the case of our first parents, Adam and Eve, and what their passive demeanor led to. Their actions led to the fall of man. And as such, we as Christians are to emulate the life of Jesus Christ. When the devil came to tempt Jesus in the wilderness in his susceptible state, Jesus wasn't easy on him; he immediately rebuked him with the scriptures, and this is how we are to shun evil that will come in any form.

One of the first things I look out for in a book is how well-crafted the cover is. Pleasantly, this book did justice in that regard. I relished the cover because it gave off a soothing ambiance. I liked that the author incorporated some images into this extraordinary book. It gave readers an avenue to relate deeply to the subject matter discussed. There was an abundance of Bible verses spread out throughout the book. It served as a guide to what the author expounded to readers. This showed his writing wasn't simply mere say but what is contained in the infallible Word of God. There was a question section where readers are allowed to ask themselves these questions that would enable them to progress in their journey of being disciples of Christ. Readers who strive for in-depth knowledge were provided with resources.

I sincerely appreciated that the author shared some of his personal experiences and the ways he learned from them. This assured readers that they aren't alone or the first to go through any situation, and also that there are solutions for them in the Bible. I held in high regard the idea that readers don't necessarily need to follow the devotional studies accordingly. They are allowed to choose any of them first, as the Spirit leads, and they can read it for as long as they deem fit.

Reading this book inspired me. It opened my eyes to see where I've deviated from the desires of God for my life. I saw how I'd be able to mature in my spiritual life, as all the studies are backed up by the Bible and proven to work, although at the onset they might not be so easy to start. I appreciate that the book's pages weren't so lengthy, yet the author made its contents in-depth and touched on every vital information Christians need to know in their service to God. I saw only one error, which reflects that the book was professionally edited. I have no reason to deny it a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars, considering the reasons outlined above.

I recommend this book to Christian readers who are eager to grow in maturity in their walk with God. The devotional studies contained in this book will serve as a compass to improve their spiritual lives. 

A Disciple's Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

John T Leach's book A Disciples Journey is a deeply inspiring and motivating book. This is a perfect compass to accentuate your walk with God. Thanks for the well written review.
Active Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-active-chris.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Active Chris »

This book would be of most value to Christian and would help them in building spirituality and faith. The book was written to serve as a sermon to readers. Thanks for the review. Congrats on publication.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

This book seems like a must-have for me as I am on a similar journey. Thanks for the review and for bringing the book to our attention.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”