Review of Got to Be Real

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Got to Be Real

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Got to Be Real" by wilbert watson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Got to Be Real by Wilbert Watson is a Christian book that details the need for Christians and unbelievers alike to set aside every obstacle and get real with serving God. Using Scriptural references as well as obtainable occurrences in the world, this book encourages Christians to the honest service of the Lord.

This book began with reference to the Israelites who abandoned God for other idols and which is shockingly similar to what is going on in the present world. The Israelites strayed so far from God that, at some point, some of the children did not even know that their grandparents worshipped God. Comparing this with the current happenings, the author calls on Christians to return to serving God. The author also introduces the Holy Spirit as a vital part of the Christian journey and as a person that helps with our needs as Christians; he goes further to describe the Holy Spirit as a person that teaches a Christian the rights and the wrongs when it comes to serving God. In this book, the author tears down the walls that present Christians hide against while offering them a way to achieve the perfect relationship with God.

One thing I liked about this book was its solution-based approach. The author, after pointing out the issues a person as a Christian may be facing, also includes the best path to follow or the solution. For instance, on page 23, 'But how do you know if you truly love others and God as you should? Let me help you! True believers find themselves loving whatever the Scripture says is true and good while hating everything that is false and evil.' I believe this will make the book very helpful to a reader as it is very informative. This book was also professionally edited. I could not find any error in it. I believe any reader would appreciate the fact that reading it will not be marred by pesky errors.

I did dislike the tone of the book, though. From the beginning of the book, the general tone is harsh and scolding. While reading the book, I kept getting the feeling of being scolded. I believe the author could have created a more conducive tone, unlike the one it already has, which will instantly place the reader on the defensive.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. While the book was a good source of information, I did not rate it higher because I did not particularly enjoy reading the book due to the negative aspect mentioned above.

I would recommend this book to anyone that needs help with their walk with God and to anyone that is trying to revive a relationship with God.

Got to Be Real
View: on Bookshelves | on iTunes
Kristin Paolantonio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-paolantonio.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Kristin Paolantonio »

Very nice review! It sounds like a very applicable book for the times we are living in. I appreciate your sharing the tone that the author uses, I know it too well and would pass on reading this for myself for that reason.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

This past week God has availed so many opportunities for me to serve and I appreciate that so much. I appreciate what the author is trying to do but we need to be gentle in our approach. I already scold myself for not doing enough, I don't need another spanking. I will therefore be skipping this book. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”