Review of Getting Into the Devil's Territory

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Getting Into the Devil's Territory

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Getting Into the Devil's Territory" by Perry Riff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After renouncing the homosexual lifestyle, Brian Hall began to live for Christ consciously. He became the leader at Father’s Touch Ministry, known for primarily helping individuals with unwanted same-sex attraction and gender identity problems. The ministry founded under Susan and Vance Gordon consisted of changed individuals who had become Christians after going through some similar homosexual past. Under Brian’s directorship, the ministry grew more than ever. However, with its fast-paced growth came antagonism from pro-gay organizations and supporters as well as ministries alike. Father’s Touch eventually branched out from little support groups and a single center to many more centers and support groups for men, women, religious leaders, and anyone looking to live in line with God’s word. In a bid to further promote their vision, Brian utilizes the media and several Christian conferences to speak on the prevalence of homosexual propaganda and ways to combat it. The ministers singularly experience their fair share of problems, and their faiths are tested to determine their preparedness for God’s plan.

Getting into the Devil’s Territory by Perry Riff is almost like an exposè. It uncovered some of the many overlooked and underestimated issues that continue to prevail in modern society. The author touched on several aspects of the LGBTQ lifestyle and how homosexuality is fully glamorized today. He gives readers the full gist of it using the experiences of the characters in the story. I loved how despite the controversial nature of the general topic, the author fully expressed his ideas in accordance with true Christianity. He acknowledged that there are many flaws in religion today but also differentiated between what is true and what isn’t. I liked reading the backstories of the characters, from those involved in the ministry to the people related to them. It helped me understand their actions and attributes better. The diction was basic enough, allowing everyone the ability to understand the book.

Although I loved the book, I sometimes found myself wondering where the story was headed. I anticipated something to look forward to, but the plot mostly revolved around the characters just living their lives and the ministry’s work. Also, even though the book was professionally edited, I found a good number of grammatical errors in it.

I rate this book four out of five stars. A combination of the errors and the seeming lack of direction in the story made me remove a star. I believe this book will inspire many people that have found themselves in similar situations as the characters. It stimulates a desire in readers to take action in altering their lives by adopting Christ and his ways.

I recommend this book to people struggling with unwanted homosexual inclinations and other related issues. Anyone moved to live life for Christ would also find this book of immense help in fueling that desire.

Getting Into the Devil's Territory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

Brian is a brave character. I like the bold step he took and decided to consciously follow Christ. I also like that he didn't just stop at following but also provided support for others struggling with the same issue God pulled him out of.
John Kingsley Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

I love that the book was directed to tackle the extremely important issue of homosexuality, which is increasing rapidly in societies, I think this book has a special function of speaking to victims through the storyline of one character or the other. Great review.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

This book according to your review sounds more of revival and repentance from sexual immorality. It is fit for everyone who have one or more cravings for immorality act.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”