Review of The graveyard and other poems

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Review of The graveyard and other poems

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The graveyard and other poems" by Mae Bea Sayes.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mae Bea Sayes is the author of the collection of poetry known as The graveyard and other poems. This collection opens with poems that explore a variety of topics, including corpses, the afterlife, and cemeteries. In addition to those poems, there are others that will pique your interest, such as the one about the author's childhood.

The first group of poems in the collection all have to do with the afterlife in some way, whether it be what happens to the body when it is buried, the graveyard, hell, or unrequited love after someone dies. Even though some of the poems are not always simple to comprehend, the fact that they are so beautifully written ensures that readers are captivated by them. In order to make sense of some of the poems, I had to resort to using a dictionary at times. As you get closer to the end of the book, the poems become simpler and easier to comprehend. Following each chapter in the book is an illustration.

I enjoyed how the poems sometimes flowed from one to the next, making the collection sound like it was one continuous story. Reading poems about a graveyard, which I am not accustomed to doing, was captivating and interesting to me because it was something different. Despite the fact that I did not always fully comprehend the poems, I still had the impression that they were speaking to me, and I admired the author's imaginative use of the words. The poem about her childhood was one of my favorites, and I liked how straightforward it was. It also jogged my memory of things that happened to me when I was a kid.

The fact that I had to consult the dictionary on occasion was an inconvenience, but I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out what the poems were trying to convey.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars because I loved the feelings it evoked in me while reading the poems. Even the poems I didn't fully comprehend were well-written and interesting to read. Although I did my best to decipher the meaning of the author's difficult vocabulary, I found that doing so slowed my reading pace until, suddenly, the last few chapters moved quickly and made sense. Although I had a dislike, it was not enough to deduct a point from the rating. The book, in my opinion, has been expertly edited and concludes on a wonderful note.

Those interested in poetry about the afterlife, the human spirit, and relationships should read this collection. Those who enjoy a good challenge in deciphering poetry will also enjoy this book, which I highly recommend.

The graveyard and other poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I don't think I've ever read poems about graves and corpses and the afterlife. This must be an interesting collection. Thanks for the review
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

It is comforting to understand that while the initial poems may be challenging, they become progressively more accessible and understandable as one continues to read. Thanks for the informative review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”