Review of Come On In

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of Come On In

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Come On In" by Michelle Spratt & Vicky Donoghue.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Vicky Donoghue and Michelle Spratt wrote the memoir Come On In to help others whose lives have been touched by dementia. This book can give you an idea of what it's like for a person or a family member to receive a diagnosis of vascular dementia and the steps you'll need to take to cope with it. However, the author's primary objective is that his or her work will inspire optimism and a sense of belonging.

Since many people, myself included, live in constant fear of receiving a diagnosis that will result in an intellectual disability, this book should appeal to a wide audience. The author emphasizes that anyone, not just the elderly, is at risk of contracting this disease. I agree with her that the effects on the person who is diagnosed and their loved ones can be devastating. What happened before the diagnosis was given in this book was heartbreaking, and it can be very frustrating for the family. In chapter seven, the authors compile advice for readers to use if they have a friend or family member with dementia. As they continued their journey with the person with dementia, they added ten more points in Chapter 8.

The fact that John had such a good memory made me realize that even the most determined individuals are vulnerable to this sort of thing, and that was the scariest part of the book for me. Readers should be aware that this book depicts the harsh realities of dementia and make appropriate preparations before reading it. Simply put, this person's entire lifelong set of values will become things he finds offensive or annoying. In spite of its unsettling content, this book may lead its readers to the resources they need to cope with the negative effects of dementia.

The authors succeed in making you care about John because of his unique personality before he started showing signs of dementia. I appreciated the inclusion of photos from different stages of his life so that the reader could put a face to the name. The fact that Vicky's children were so supportive of her was a great thing. Unfortunately, it's not always possible for someone to be as present as they were for their mother and father. I pray that those who have a loved one with dementia will take the authors at their word that the person with dementia is not to blame and that dementia is an incurable disease.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars because it tells the reader the truth about dementia, and that's what loved ones of those with dementia need to hear. In order that they may progress from initial shock to final acceptance. I felt sick to my stomach and shed a few tears over the reality of this disease. I found only one mistake in this book, so it was clearly edited professionally. The book concluded on a positive note as well.

Everyone who is concerned about developing dementia in old age should read this book. If you are curious about dementia or if you have a loved one with the disease and are unsure of how to help them or deal with it, this book is for you.

Come On In
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
xay ksc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xay ksc »

This book addresses people in family members with dementia and describes their emotional and emotional experiences with each other. It's important not to blame patients or people with dementia for being annoying, disgusting, or even incurable.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I haven't heard of Dementia until now. While mental illness is serious, family members must study how to deal with their loved ones who are affected by this disease, and by reading this book, they will be aware of how to take good care of them. My message is "we will fight mental illness", we are strong! I hope that John will be treated well. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
thinh huynh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by thinh huynh »

haven't heard of Dementia until now. While mental illness is serious, family members must study how to deal with their loved ones who are affected by this disease, and by reading this book, they will be aware of how to take good care of them
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

I think the author has done a great job writing books to help us feel for the ill and to know how to deal with it. Your review is also great and it defines the book in the best way. Thank you for your great review.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

This book was written by people who are not only compassionate but understand the negative impacts of dementia. The book title shows how thoughtful and compassionate they are. I love it!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

This is an educating story series. It is good for someone who had suffered or suffering from vascular dementia to pick this book so as to learn more on how to manage the health situations. Thanks for your review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Dementia can drastically change lives. I cannot wait to read more about how to care for those affected. Awesome review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”