Review of The Decision to Kill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Review of The Decision to Kill

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Decision to Kill" by Leslie Ghiglieri.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This is a truly touching story of a family's plight in the hands of a delinquent child and the enduring love of a mother. The Decision to Kill: A True Crime Story Of A Teenage Killer And The Mother Who Loved Him is a biography that exposes one of many harsh life realities faced by human beings. Don and Cherie Wier have longed to be parents for eight years. Finally, they adopt a hefty baby boy, whom they name Dwayne. The couple is determined to love their baby boy and shower him with all the attention they could possibly give. Soon after Dwayne is three months old, he develops asthma and then other different ailments until he is almost two years old.

When Dwayne finally starts school, he suffers from a hearing impairment and gets into trouble on several occasions. Later, he begins stealing, and as a teenager, he gets into using and exchanging hard drugs. All his bad behaviour put together continues to cause his parents to look for solutions. Meanwhile, his younger sister, Donette, is the complete opposite of him. One night, Dwanye gets tired of his parents treating him like 'a ten-year old' and goes on to do the unthinkable, which lands him in jail. What does he do, and how does this change the course of his life?

Leslie Ghiglieri is able to paint a balanced picture of Cherie and Don's lives as the parents of the child who caused them so much pain. As much as the story contains much pain and sorrow, it also contains much hope laced throughout its later parts. The story quickly becomes about Dwanye's fight for his life, self-discovery, and reconciliation with his family. The intention of the author to help drug addicts recover through this book is noble and commendable. She shows that all hope is not lost if loved ones don't give up on their relatives who are addicts. I could feel the love Mr and Mrs Wier had for their children, and later on, the immensity of Cherie's love for Dwayne, despite his horrible offences.

The book comprises 21 chapters and more than 300 pages. The writing is excellent, and the structure and page numbering are correct. The author was able to smoothly incorporate the letters and other correspondences into the narrative, and this was appealing. Many times, when writers need to do this, there can be mistakes that cause the narrative to lose its flow and professional appeal, but there was none of that in this book. Due to its proper editing, I only spotted three errors as I read. This book also examines a number of other important topics, including parenting, trauma, spiritual healing, kindness, prayer, and a variety of medical procedures.

I really appreciate Ghiglieri's effort in researching all the events and producing a worthwhile piece. There are details of everything Dwayne went through, even though he was locked away at different correctional facilities during the time of many of the events. He also had access to intensive medical care for serious conditions such as Alport syndrome, kidney failure, and many other delicate health challenges he encountered. I dislike nothing about the book.

It deserves a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I gladly recommend this book to inmates, drug addicts seeking recovery, parents of delinquent children, and troubled kids. Dwayne's words on page 281 are a source of inspiration for anyone coming out of a bad situation like his. "I feel the deep urge to reach out to people with my experiences, what I’ve been through and why, what caused the circumstances that led up to what occurred in my life, how I’ve resolved it, and how I maintain my new life in Christ."

The Decision to Kill
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like a heart-touching story that will evoke different emotions in readers. I'm curious to know what Dwayne did. I will add this book to my TBR list. Well done.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Your thoughtful analysis and detailed critique of the book's content have provided valuable insights into the author's message and its relevance to the reader. Your review will undoubtedly help other potential readers make informed decisions about whether this book is right for them
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

Reading your review, I feel like you have created a mini version of the book with all the possible info for the readers when they choose a book to read. I am sure everyone would want to read this book after reading your deep and honest review. I will surely read this book and thanks to you for your amazing review.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

I felt sober as i read this your review, but i understand the unfailing love of the mothers on their children despite how mischio their children may be.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

The story is a very touching one and I feel the mood that the author wrote with. I will love to read this book. Good job.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

This book sound like horror book and I don't enjoy it. I love how you detailed your review but I don't know if I can read it. Good job.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

The Decision to Kill: A True Crime Story Of A Teenage Killer And The Mother Who Loved Him is a biography that everyone should read because the author opens a detail that can be helpful.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Merits Anih »

It's great to hear that the book examines important topics such as parenting, trauma, spiritual healing, kindness, prayer, and medical procedures. The book's proper editing and excellent structure make it easy to read and enjoyable. The incorporation of letters and other correspondences into the narrative is appealing and adds depth to the story.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The fact that the book is recommended for inmates, drug addicts seeking recovery, parents of delinquent children, and troubled kids makes it a valuable resource for those facing similar situations. The reviewer's mention of Dwayne's words being a source of inspiration adds an uplifting and hopeful dimension to the book.
Michael Browny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-browny.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Michael Browny »

The book's examination of addiction and recovery is important, as it sheds light on the struggles and challenges faced by those battling with substance abuse. The fact that the book is a biography adds a personal and human touch to the story, making it relatable and emotionally impactful.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by David Offdavis »

The book's rating of five out of five stars adds credibility to its quality and makes it a worthy read. The book's length of 21 chapters and 300 pages shows that it is a comprehensive and thorough exploration of the story and characters.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”