Review of "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Review of "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?"

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Are You a N****r or a Doctor?"" by Oto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are You a N****r or a Doctor?: A Memoir by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. is the first volume of the author’s memoir. He recently retired after a forty-five-year career as an anesthesiologist, he had time to reflect on his life and experiences. Stallworth grew up in Birmingham, Alabama. Birmingham was once described by Martin Luther King, Jr. as the most segregated city in the United States. The author provided details about his experiences as a Black man growing up in a segregated city. He vividly recalled “White Only” and “Colored Only” signs everywhere as a child. He described a day when he drank from a “White Only” water fountain and was shocked to discover that it tasted the same as the water from the “Colored Only” water fountain. The author conveyed the unique perspective of a child vividly as he described his experiences.

At the age of sixteen, the author left Birmingham to attend Howard University in Washington, D.C. He described his transition to college life. He graduated in 1966 and then attended Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee. He did his UCLA anesthesiology residency in Los Angeles and eventually became Chief Anesthesiologist for a hospital in Los Angeles, California before he was thirty years old. He described his unique experiences as a Black doctor at a time when there weren’t many minorities in such prestigious positions. The title of the book came from an interaction the author had with an elderly patient who was surprised and confused to see a Black doctor.

I enjoyed reading this book. Stallworth’s recollections are vivid and convey his perspective and emotions very well. He experienced harsh realities living in Birmingham during the racial segregation of Jim Crow laws. He lived through the Civil Rights Movement and desegregation. His vivid memory of his experiences allows readers to gain knowledge and understanding of this time in American history. In addition, to the first-hand accounts of historical events, the author has had a fascinating life. He has had a successful career and lived in several different cities while pursuing his education and career, including Washington, D.C., Nashville, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Readers get a glimpse of his life as he transitions to a new location and progresses through his life and career.

He seemed to enjoy and excel at his chosen profession. Portions of the book are devoted to his medical practice and the types of patients he saw. He detailed the difficult cases he handled and the obstacles he faced as he moved up the ladder to become Chief Anesthesiologist. He also described his personal life. He was married five times. He has four children and one stepdaughter. He seemed to have many close friendships over the years and remained close to them. He recalled running into childhood friends later in life and continuing the friendships as though no time had passed. He was friends with some interesting characters that readers will enjoy learning about.

The author is a gifted storyteller. His recollections are vivid and convey emotion and perspective that readers will appreciate. However, I saw more than ten errors in the book, so I don’t believe it was professionally edited. That was the only negative aspect of the book. What I liked most about the book was the author’s descriptions of growing up in the south during segregation and the obstacles he overcame to become a successful doctor. I also enjoyed the photographs he included that enhanced the book. Even with the errors, I highly recommend this book as a well-written memoir of a fascinating life. I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading memoirs or with an interest in American history. I am unable to give the book a perfect rating because there are more than ten errors, so I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

"Are You a N****r or a Doctor?"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

The book worths reading as it teaches that we are one both the white and the black and as such shouldn't be any racial discriminations. Your review is wonderful. I must read this book
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Stallworth Jr.'s story reminds me of the plight of black people in South Africa during the apartheid era. There are so many similarities. Thanks for the review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Racial discrimination is a pandemic on its own. When will people learn that we are all just as important?
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

Reading books about racism always make me so emotional. Every form of racism is bad, where black or Asia. I have read a lot on it and while this book is interesting, I think I have read enough on this topic.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”