Review of Audience-ology

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Review of Audience-ology

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Audience-ology" by Kevin Goetz with Darlene Hayman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever heard of moviegoers or movie-testing? Well, I didn't, until I read this book. I didn't know that movies got tested before their final release. There is a whole industry based on that. Audience-ology by Kevin Goetz with Darlene Hayman was an interesting book that showed me what's behind an interesting part of an interesting industry. The movies get tested to measure their possible success. This is done by having some moviegoers watch the movie. Then, they fill out a survey about it. Also, there are discussions held with a smaller group after the end of the movie. This has led to real changes in movies. Sometimes it's the start, other times it's the end. They could even change some of the occurrences during the movie. The writer gives us some exclusive stories about some of the most popular movies in the history of film. You will get to see how some movies were altered to be what we know now. You'll also see how some movies became surprisingly big hits. The writer also includes his own story of starting this career and making a huge success out of it. I admire the filmmakers who were open-minded enough to accept the movie-testing process at its start.

I like that the book takes us backstage, which is a place that many people are curious about. That curiosity is what made me choose this book, and I don't regret it. You won't be exposed to the whole making process, but you will know what happens in this crucial phase. I believe that the writer chose a very difficult career. He even thought of naming this book Don't Shoot the Messenger. That would have been suitable, too. I liked knowing more details about some of my favorite movies, and I appreciated more the effort behind them.

There is nothing to hate about this book. The writer tells the stories smoothly. Sometimes I felt the pace was a little bit slow. I think that the book should be read with breaks to digest all the stories. Somehow, while I'm writing this review, I feel like one of these moviegoers filling out the survey after watching the movie. That gave me a smile.

The book was entertaining and informative. In addition, the book received professional editing. I didn't find any errors going through its pages. Therefore, I rate it five out of five stars.

I recommend the book to curious people who like to know what is behind things. Cinema lovers would find a lot of interesting information in there.

Audience-ology
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for your review. This sounds like a fun and entertaining way to learn something about the movie industry that most people don't know.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful reviews. Adding this book to my bookshelf ASAP for possible reading in the future. Kudos.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”