Review of The Creative Outlet Method: At-Home Activities for Children with Special Needs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of The Creative Outlet Method: At-Home Activities for Children with Special Needs

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Creative Outlet Method: At-Home Activities for Children with Special Needs" by Joshua Levy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

T​he Creative Outlet Method: At-Home Activities for Children with Special Needs is Joshua Levy's present to parents of special needs children. Levy's method has been used successfully in other settings, but this offering is designed to be used in home settings. The workbook itself has a nice academic feel that should instill confidence in parents. Levy claims that by following the steps he has outlined "children will boost their creativity, increase their confidence, and improve their social skills."

L​evy's dedication page is to his family members and follows an endorsement page from prominent educators. The book has 121 pages. The activities start on page 25. Levy gets off on the right foot with a quote from Fred Rogers. Two distinct sections are printed in white ink on blue paper. This thoughtful gesture ensures that readers don't skip over these important pages.

M​y favorite part is the author's compassionate tone. Having worked with autistic children, children with speech disorders, and children with other behavior issues, he is empathetic to the struggles involved. On page 21, he explains "your child's behavior is not about you." Levy then elaborates on that message.

W​hile explaining the components of the method, Levy uses many acronyms related to that sequence. I understand the purpose of using CUPSS, SOfTS, RAE, and HIPPY to reinforce the structure when introducing the activities, but this was my least favorite part. T​here is a useful chart, which shows the appropriate age level for each activity, and the progression in skills is obvious.

Since I have a background in education, the terms of objectives and outcomes were familiar to me, but parents not used to making lesson plans should have no difficulty becoming familiar with the routine. I especially liked the game called "Mushed up Monologues" because it was based on an idea inspired by using Mad Libs, a classroom favorite with my English students that many parents might also remember from their school days.

F​inally, the last activity, "Create a Story," is where each child has mastered the skills to come up with their own story to perform. Levy ends with "My Message to You" where he explains his goal of empowering parents.

I am confident that this book contains everything parents need to establish a better environment for their children. Following the method might seem repetitive or tedious, but it is a proven system. My rating is five out of five. My recommendation is to all parents and guardians who want to host some fun playdate sessions for their special needs children in their own homes.

The Creative Outlet Method: At-Home Activities for Children with Special Needs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I'm glad there are books that cater to special needs children. They need all the developmental help they can get. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

This book will be helpful in parenting and taking care of children with special needs. Nice review.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. It highlights the good job the reviewer did. I recommend this book to all.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”