Review of God Almighty!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Review of God Almighty!

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God Almighty!" by Jose R. Gonzalez.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

God Almighty!: A Sober-Minded View of Our Lot on Planet Earth by Jose R. Gonzalez is a book that delves into the questions that have plagued humankind for centuries: questions about the universe, God, and religion. These questions aim to help us to take stock of where we are in the world today as well as how we got here. You can expect discussions about the origin of religion, religion versus science, creationism versus evolution, and how theocracy and religious zealotry have affected our psyche, among other topics. In trying to make sense of the truth, you can expect a few controversies on this journey as well.

The author, who seems straightforward in these matters, takes a layman's approach to these issues, and in doing so, he provides a unique perspective that is both refreshing, thought-provoking, and as fact-based as possible. I agree that any idea must be subject to questioning, and the author does well by probing this subject.

One of the most interesting aspects of the book is the way the author explores the role of religion in shaping our worldview. He notes that religion has played a significant role in human history, primarily because of our psychological need for guidance from a higher power and our need to find explanations for our existence. However, he also acknowledges that many of our beliefs about God and religion are reflections of the mindsets of our ancestors who passed them down to us. It gets disturbing when he exposes how man's need to feel special has influenced these religious beliefs.

At the center of the author's message is the principle of coexistence, which is a refreshing message that I strongly believe the world needs to hear more of today, especially with religious extremism being rampant for a long time. He acknowledges that religion can have positive benefits for those who practice it, which I like, but he also notes that it should not be used as a weapon against others. Instead, he advocates for adopting reason and science as our guidelines for understanding the world, even though they may not provide us with all of the answers that we need.

Whether it was his lessons on the discrepancies between an all-loving God and what is portrayed in most religions or his command of key events in history to support his stance, I found the book well-researched and eye-opening and believe it will spark a lot of important conversations, including conversations that we may not find the answers to yet. The book also seemed professionally edited, as I encountered just one minor error in the text.

Overall, God Almighty!: A Sober-Minded View of Our Lot on Planet Earth is a thought-provoking and insightful read that offers a unique perspective on some of the most fundamental questions of human existence. It is a book that will be of interest to anyone who is diffident in their concept of God, religion, and the universe and looking to crystalize their worldviews. The author's approach is indeed sober-minded, as he states in the subtitle, and his insights have the potential to undoubtedly lead readers to experience something close to an epiphany. I cannot think of anything I do not like about the book, so I award it a rating of five out of five. I highly recommend this read to anyone who is looking to expand their understanding of the world and their place in it.

God Almighty!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
Jaco Du Plooy
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaco-du-plooy.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Jaco Du Plooy »

As an absolute enemy of the new world order and one-size-fits-all when it comes to religion, I will enjoy to read this book.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

This review is well detailed and captivating. It contains the important information about the book. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”