Review of The White Knight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Review of The White Knight

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The White Knight" by James Gibides Jr.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The White Knight is a paper written by a kid grown into an adult, an adult who never forgot that he too was once a kid." This is how James Gibides Jr. chose to open his book, The White Knight. The book discusses how we treat children as a society. It tries to speak for them. As a former kid, I would have loved to see someone speak for me. The book starts with how parents treat their children. He highlights how parents can sometimes mislead their children. Also, he discusses how children feel about not having choices. Next, he moves on to the school and the role it plays in shaping the children. After that, he mentions how society contributes to the formation of children. Finally, he discusses the justice system that we and the children are subjected to. You can see good discussions and learn more about what the writer means by "The White Knight" when you grab this book.

I like it when people ask questions. I like it more when they are challenging questions. This is the case with this book. Most people just live with what they have. Only people who have questions and objections can make real changes in the world. The writer had some good questions and objections. I believe this can lead to real change. The book doesn't give instructions; it doesn't even give solutions. It directs the questions to you to make you stop for a moment to think. I find that remarkable and really useful.

There is nothing to hate about this book. It got me confused, but in a good way. I'm now asking myself all the questions the writer asked. Let me tell you, they are not easy at all. I'm thinking about what we should do to fix what needs to be fixed. I also don't totally agree with some of the thoughts, but I still respect them. I would have loved to see some suggestions. It would have helped with my confusion. I would have also wanted to see what we could do on a personal level to help, since we are not able to change the systems overnight.

The book was clear and short. It asked the proper questions and elaborated on the writer's point of view. Also, the book received professional editing. I could only notice one minor error through its pages. Therefore, I rate The White Knight five out of five stars.

I highly recommend the book to people who are in positions of authority and can make a change. Generally, the book is for everyone.

The White Knight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I first noticed the cover and then the title and thought they didn't go together. I then read your review and was surprised by the content. I think it is important for people to be able to veiw things from other perspectives including children. I would be interested in reading this book just see what the opinions the author has even if I might not agree. Nice review. It was very informative.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”