Review of LEAVING WEST 83RD STREET

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Review of LEAVING WEST 83RD STREET

Post by Bef Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "LEAVING WEST 83RD STREET" by Kenneth P Marion.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Leaving West 83rd Street: Much of My Life in Short Essays by Kenneth P. Marion is a memoir that tells the story of the author's life from his childhood to his professional years as a human service administrator and a writer. The book chronicles the challenges he faced growing up, including having alcoholic parents and a mother who suffered from tuberculosis, as well as most events that took place while he still lived at 222 West 83rd Street. Despite the difficulties, Kenneth's memories are filled with joy and fondness, capturing the essence of growing up on West 83rd Street in Manhattan. 

The book is composed of about 83 unique essays, each containing rich experiences from the author's life. It is evident that Kenneth had an eventful childhood, which he portrays with great enthusiasm and admiration for his father. The essays are expertly written, engaging, and infused with a deep sense of nostalgia that leaves the reader yearning for more. The book is a tribute to his family, community, and the Jewish traditions that were an essential part of his upbringing.

The exceptional editing of this book is evident, and it is no surprise considering Kenneth's years of experience as a writer as well as his family's literary background. The collection of short essays and stories that make up this book makes it easy to digest, and the accompanying pictures are an added bonus that enhances the reading experience.

While reading this book, I found myself thoroughly engrossed in each essay, with very little to critique. However, I noticed an omission of a picture in one of the essays where it stated, "Pictured above is Doctors' Hospital where I was born," but there was no corresponding picture above it. Additionally, the pages were not properly arranged, making it a bit challenging to navigate and these are the only minor dislikes.

I must say that I enjoyed most of this book, and everything was just too good. This means that it was exceptionally edited, which truly proves that Kenneth has been writing for many years and is also from a family of writers. I particularly enjoyed the short essays and stories, which made it easy for me to read this book bit by bit. The pictures in the book were also very helpful, as they made the book more interesting to read.

I would gladly rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is a well-written, introspective, and nostalgic memoir that captures the essence of growing up in a particular time and place. While reading this memoir, I rarely found anything to dislike because of how engaging the essays were. It is a must-read for anyone who loves well-written memoirs that celebrate family, community, and the resilience of the human spirit in overcoming adversity. The book is not your typical biography, as it goes beyond narrating the author's life story to teach valuable moral lessons and to openly condemn racism. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs that reflect on family, community, and overcoming challenges. It would also be a great choice for readers who are interested in the history of New York City, particularly Manhattan, and the Jewish traditions that were an essential part of the author's life. Additionally, readers who are interested in mental health and human services may appreciate the author's professional experiences and insights.

LEAVING WEST 83RD STREET
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Your review highlights this book well. I can appreciate essays as opposed to one long memoir. I enjoy books about New York City, too.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I love books that talk about overcoming family and Community challenges, as well as those that reflect in mental health. Great review.
SHARON C 1
Currently Reading: Good sexual hygiene and spiritual attitude
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SHARON C 1 »

I love books that talk about family, community and life challenges too! You have explained it all, great review.
Clara Tom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clara-tom.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Clara Tom »

This book was lively and I really enjoyed how the author directed all the points in a way that the authors will understand easily. I hope to read this book soon as it was really enjoyable.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”