Review of Born Missionary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Born Missionary

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Born Missionary" by Margo Lee Williams.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Born Missionary by Margo Lee Williams is an intriguing real-life story that follows the journey of Islay Walden, a partially blind man who earned his freedom from slavery after the war. Determined to get an education and to make a difference, Islay left his home in Randolph County, North Carolina, for Washington, DC. There, he earned a degree at the University of Howard. After that, Islay moved to New Jersey, where he attended a theology seminary in New Brunswick before he was finally ordained. Fulfilled with how far he had come education-wise, Islay moved back to his hometown and founded congregational churches and schools. When we leave this world, what will we be remembered for? For Islay, there were a number of beautiful things to write about. Read to find out the legacies Islay left behind, especially the impact he had on the lives of African Americans.

I loved the fact that the author sometimes used the actual words of Islay in writing his biography. It made me see things from his perspective and not just the third-person perspective. Without a doubt, the author really did her research before writing this masterpiece. Actual newspaper reports and church publications about Islay accompanied the work. She also added poems written by Islay at various points in his life, and they contained beautiful words with deep meanings. Getting to know Islay Walden through the pages of this book was really a wonderful experience. How a black man accomplished so much in his era is still quite fascinating to me. He didn’t let the unpleasant obstacles he faced deter him from realizing the big dreams he had for himself. Notwithstanding the limitations imposed on him, Islay achieved what people thought he couldn’t achieve.

I loved how Islay continued to strive for African Americans no matter where he found himself. Islay’s return to his home community to build churches and schools proved how selfless he was. All he strived for was the betterment of people of color. Although he lived for only forty years, the impact of all Islay achieved is still felt to this present day.

I couldn't find a thing to dislike about this book. The author is undoubtedly one of the best storytellers I've ever read his work. I rate Born Missionary 5 out of 5 stars because that I found no grammatical errors in it, and I really enjoyed every bit of the story.

I recommend this book to people with an interest in African American history. If you wish to read about the great legacies of an African American, this book is for you.

Born Missionary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

People seeking to explore African American history will have an amazing time reading this book. Great review.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

The journey of Islay Walden seems like a really interesting one. I'd love to know the legacies Islay left behind.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Islay’s character is one that catches my attention. Overall this is a brilliant review. I enjoyed reading it.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. It highlights the good job the reviewer did. I recommend this book to all.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”