Review of The Thicket's Prodigy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Review of The Thicket's Prodigy

Post by CrossK »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thicket's Prodigy" by Ronald G. Brock.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In The Thicket's Prodigy, a young boy named Eugene H. Brock aspired to be something other than a farmer in East Texas. His ancestors were among the first settlers in Texas's big thicket. Even though the Great Depression significantly impacted his family's income, Eugene was motivated to pursue an education by his aspirations. Barbara Ann and Ronald G. Brock were born to Eugene Brock and Virginia Woods. Ronald takes us on a thrilling voyage through this book that spans his experiences in high school, college, and early years. Ronald had taken part in many thrilling moves to various states. Readers will learn how he adjusted to each shift in his life and how Eugene and Ronald fared in their respective endeavors. Read Ronald G. Brock's novel titled The Thicket's Prodigy to learn more.

This book is jam-packed with background information about the Brock family as well as the first settlement in the thicket region, the establishment of clans and counties, and the finding of oil. The many histories of different persons dating back to the early 1800s, those who had assisted in forming the subsequent generations of Brocks and other families, led to a wealth of knowledge about their conception and settlement. I adore how the author divided the stories into several headings. It made it simpler to discern which historical period the author was alluding to. The header, "The Early Life of Eugene H. Brock," illustrates one of these history breakdowns.

There are many historical events that I learned about through this book. The Great Depression, which started in August 1929, is one of them. I was able to comprehend the severe impact it had on society, including the lack of work prospects. The lives of the Brock and Woods families were portrayed this way. Although this novel contains several themes, the ones I saw most often were perseverance and tenacity. The author's father, Eugene H. Brock, exhibited these traits throughout his life. I admire the fact that he dared to stand out from the crowd in East Texas. Even though he was continuously faced with situations that could leave him without hope, he continued to pursue his studies. Eugene's story can teach readers how to accept their dreams and make them come true.

One of the elements of the book that I particularly like is the small parts with blue text. The narrative in this blue font color describes past events and ideas from a specific character's perspective. For instance, the blue font on Pages 36 and 37 denotes a period in Eugene H. Brock's life when he had many goals. Simply put, this demonstrates how far Ronald G. Brock went to complete this work. He had gathered knowledge from various sources, including his father, Ruth Marshak, and Eleanor Jette, the wife of metallurgist Eric Jette. He enhances this book's distinctiveness by doing so. This further demonstrates that this book is more than just a collection of stories he could recall from his youth.

Also, I didn't find anything objectionable about this work. It addressed a wide range of historical topics that contributed to the growth of economic, commercial, and technological aspects in today's world. In addition, I found no form of errors in this work. It was exceptionally edited. Thus, I rate The Thicket's Prodigy 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to individuals interested in science and history because this book contains a lot of information in those fields.

The Thicket's Prodigy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I do enjoy reading non-fiction books a lot because it always has a lesson to give. This is a book I would read so that I learn how challenges of real life were handled. Congratulations, Great Review.
BRANTON
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BRANTON »

Its an encouraging and building piece of work.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

This sounds like a good book about someone who overcame hardship to rise to his highest level. I enjoy books like this, where the reader can get a good sense of what the character actually went through in life and how it shaped him. Thank you for your review.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. It highlights the good job the reviewer did. I recommend this book to all.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. It highlights the good job the reviewer did. I recommend this book to all.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”