Review of 14 Dogs and Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of 14 Dogs and Me

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "14 Dogs and Me" by Mary Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you a dog person or a cat person? I always considered myself a cat person, but that was before I had the fortunate and predestined opportunity to share a home with a miniature pinscher/Chihuahua mix for four years. She has since moved with her mommy, but she stole my heart and will forever be my precious canine niece. In 14 Dogs and Me: One Woman’s Story of Never Saying No, Mary Roberts shares heartwarming stories of the 14 dogs (so far) in her life. From Angel, in 1964, to Frida, still alive and kicking at the time of the book’s release, the author gives raw and humorous accounts of her life and those of her pups.

I love everything about the cover of this book. The author seems genuinely content with her three buddies, and they are tolerating the photo op well. From the onset, my quest was to figure out which three dogs were on the cover. The background captures the author’s Colorado references, and the format of the title (using numerals and the ampersand) reflects her unique approach to enjoying—or at least surviving—life.

I commend Roberts for staying true to the title. Each chapter starts with a picture of the featured canine and includes bits about their personality, how and when she got them, and sadly, for most, how and when they died. For novices who cannot look at a dog’s picture and determine its pedigree, Roberts supplies details about their combination of breeds. The tan dog on the cover, Sunny, was described as one who looked like “someone in his lineage was a yellow lab who had an affair with a Chihuahua terrier mutt.” That’s some combination. I saw him as a lab, but Sunny’s mom knew his true instincts and usually referred to him as a terrier. I have identified Sunny, but I will let the reader discover the names of the other two. It was a fun game while reading.

At first glance at the title, I thought the author had all 14 dogs concurrently. After reading about the chaos surrounding having three in the house at once, I saw the error of my naïve thinking. No, the author is a conscientious, caring mom of humans and canines who learned from her mistakes. One of the heartbreaking lessons she learned was how to discern when a beloved pet was in pain but still acting normal, albeit moving slower. This observation helped several dogs get the medical attention they needed without the prolonged suffering that an untrained eye may have overlooked.

It was hard saying goodbye to the dogs I met in each chapter. When they had the tiniest hint of injury, I would flip back to their picture page at the beginning of the chapter to check their end date. I had one favorite based on their picture (Jake) and another based on their stories (Becca). I usually gravitated toward the wilder ones.

I have difficulty following many characters in a story, so I kept a detailed list within easy reach. With the names of the 14 primary dogs, the author’s children, husband, boyfriends, siblings, doggie friends, vets, and others, I felt a sense of accomplishment if I at least knew if the name referred to a dog or a human.

One aspect I appreciated most in the stories was the author’s honesty in sharing her vulnerability and dependence on her dogs for stability. She often offered excuses for choosing a particular pup or the conditions around getting them, but I always sensed her human need to love and be loved in every situation. In her storytelling, I could feel the connection between her and each dog, and I was rooting for them to have a long and happy life together.

I rate 14 Dogs and Me 4 out of 5 stars. Although they were minor, the number of grammatical errors necessitated a 1-star reduction. There were a lot of names to keep track of, but the author issued a fair warning with the title. I recommend this honest and loving memoir to all professed and budding dog lovers. In the appendix, Roberts includes helpful advice for those considering adding a dog to their family. This book comprises 14 chosen canines, but the author says she intends “to live a long, healthy life and find myself more great dogs.” That is my wish for her as well.

14 Dogs and Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Wow! So many dogs under one roof? I don't know how I'd cope but these dogs are fortunate because they are loved by Roberts.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

ElinaT wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 13:19 Wow! So many dogs under one roof? I don't know how I'd cope but these dogs are fortunate because they are loved by Roberts.
The maximum number of dogs she actually had at one time was three. The author is definitely a caring dog mom. :animals-dog: :dog: 🐾
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Rosa Parks
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Survivor's Eyes by Chris Ekral

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I actually used to have a dog until I lost her and I would love to read this even though it's going to bring back some memories.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

What a beautiful review. I am definitely a dog person, but I love and respect all animals. I can relate to the heartache losing a canine friend can bring, but also know that I would always want to have a dog in my life. This sounds like a sad book to read.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Khris Cee wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 13:25 I actually used to have a dog until I lost her and I would love to read this even though it's going to bring back some memories.
It will definitely bring back memories. I've only gotten attached to one dog in my am-I-still-a-cat-person life :dog:, and some of these stories made me think of her. I hope you have the chance to check out this book.
Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kelly Tunstall wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 13:39 What a beautiful review. I am definitely a dog person, but I love and respect all animals. I can relate to the heartache losing a canine friend can bring, but also know that I would always want to have a dog in my life. This sounds like a sad book to read.
It sounds like you would relate to the author's feelings about the joy dogs bring to her life. They are definitely caring creatures. And the book isn't too sad, except that you know the end date for all but one of the 14 dogs. There were plenty of fun stories while they were still around. 🐾
Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

"One of the heartbreaking lessons she learned was how to discern when a beloved pet was in pain but still acting normal, albeit moving slower. This observation helped several dogs get the medical attention they needed without the prolonged suffering that an untrained eye may have overlooked."
We recently lost our two canines to an unknown factor, and that made me sad. I was so used to the one that passed last, named Tyson aka Tata, and I miss him dearly because anytime he'd notice me he'd bark gently as a call to me. Your review was so detailed and enthusiastic. Kudos.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Blackstenius wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 00:21 "One of the heartbreaking lessons she learned was how to discern when a beloved pet was in pain but still acting normal, albeit moving slower. This observation helped several dogs get the medical attention they needed without the prolonged suffering that an untrained eye may have overlooked."
We recently lost our two canines to an unknown factor, and that made me sad. I was so used to the one that passed last, named Tyson aka Tata, and I miss him dearly because anytime he'd notice me he'd bark gently as a call to me. Your review was so detailed and enthusiastic. Kudos.
I'm sorry to hear of your dogs' passing. When my niece dog moved, I missed her more than her humans :shhh: . I know there will be no replacement for Tata's gentle bark, but I hope you find another canine companion when you are ready.

Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

MsH2k wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 18:50
I have difficulty following many characters in a story, so I kept a detailed list within easy reach. With the names of the 14 primary dogs, the author’s children, husband, boyfriends, siblings, doggie friends, vets, and others, I felt a sense of accomplishment if I at least knew if the name referred to a dog or a human.
This part of your review made me smile.

Your reviews have always been an inspiration to me. You very creatively include things that one may not consider. That is what makes it so enjoyable to read. Thank you, Donna, for sharing your lovely synopsis of this book.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 07:58
MsH2k wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 18:50
This part of your review made me smile.

Your reviews have always been an inspiration to me. You very creatively include things that one may not consider. That is what makes it so enjoyable to read. Thank you, Donna, for sharing your lovely synopsis of this book.
My dad was horrible at remembering names, and while I am not as bad as he was, I am still challenged when there are many to remember :D.

Thank you for your kind comment and your visit, Nisha. Sharing my reading experience with fellow reviewers like you is one of the best part of reviewing books. :greetings-waveyellow:
Rosa Parks
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love cats and dogs. I think the 14 dogs' pictures are lovely to see. I hope to see Becca. I love her dog's name. Yes, so many names, including dog names and people's names, that's sometimes confusing. When I read this book, definitely I'll take notes on who am I reading, a dog or a family member. I love how detailed your review is, Donna! You always wrote perfect reviews!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 18:29 I love cats and dogs. I think the 14 dogs' pictures are lovely to see. I hope to see Becca. I love her dog's name. Yes, so many names, including dog names and people's names, that's sometimes confusing. When I read this book, definitely I'll take notes on who am I reading, a dog or a family member. I love how detailed your review is, Donna! You always wrote perfect reviews!
If you have the opportunity to read this book, you will notice that the author also was fond of the dog--and the name--Becca. :dog:

Thank you for your comment, Hazel Mae! :wink: It's always nice to have you stop by for a visit.
Rosa Parks
Mariam Bachani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mariam Bachani »

This is a very honest and heartfelt story of a woman' s life, her personal struggles and the dogs who came into her life everytime she is putting them first
Though many of her dogs were difficult, she had unconditional love for them and her bond with them was healing for her. I was amazed at her honesty and openness about her shortcomings and personal difficulties.
We do have strong relationships with pets and their feeling we feel so attached with them at that very moment

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”