Review of Everyone Needs A Lyft

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Everyone Needs A Lyft

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everyone Needs A Lyft" by Matthew V. Brown, Ph. D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Everyone Needs a Lyft: My Thirty-Day Odyssey as a Lyft Driver is a series of 30 short stories written by Matthew V. Brown, Ph. D. He was a business professor at the University of Michigan for twenty years and then retired. After spending the COVID-19 lockdown at home with his wife and daughter, he needed to do something different and earn more money. Lyft driving was not on his list of things to do, but his wife and daughter talked him into it. Then the idea of collecting stories from passengers and turning these stories into a book came to be. Eventually, Matthew started driving for Lyft from September to October 2021. He was able to compile 30 different stories from his passengers towards the end of his Lyft driving experience. Grab a copy of Everyone Needs a Lyft: My Thirty-Day Odyssey as a Lyft Driver to learn more about these intriguing stories.

The stories in the book differ. With a wide range of different people, characters, and backgrounds, the author was able to capture the best stories from his passengers and extract them into this book. One story I really enjoyed reading was "Story Seventeen: Circuits and Strange Loops." This story was about a young man who had been chasing his PhD for a really long time. His friends began laughing at him because he was making really slow progress in his dissertation, and they even teased him about becoming a "Lifer RA," a graduate student research assistant that never actually graduates. Then they issued a challenge, which came with some juicy rewards. The challenge was for him to apply for a job at NASA and then secure a phone interview with them. Luckily for him, his application got considered, and he eventually earned a job at NASA. Talk about luck and chance.

One thing I liked about this book was the authenticity of the stories. It was amusing and fun for me to read about real-life stories directly from people; I can only imagine how satisfying it must have been for Matthew. Factually speaking, there were good days and bad days for Matthew. like when he almost got mugged by a group of young passengers who took him to a dangerous neighborhood during a night ride. After the experience, he decided to stop Lyft driving at night.

As much as I enjoyed reading the stories, I didn't quite like something in the book. I think the conversations could have started off in a more introductory way. A platform for starting a serious conversation wasn't in place. Once the passengers get in the car and the regular pleasantries are exchanged, they just start telling their stories. I think it would have been better if they were stirred up a bit or given a cue to engage in serious discussions. However, this did not happen in all the stories. Some passengers were given a cue to tell their stories, while others were not. 

Everyone Needs a Lyft: My Thirty-Day Odyssey as a Lyft Driver is a professionally edited book that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys reading short stories. Also, anyone who is interested in trying out Lyft driving would really find this book interesting and helpful.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because I would have preferred to see a cue for serious discussions, and some of the stories were very technical and got me a bit bored.

Everyone Needs A Lyft
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

Asking passengers for their stories while driving them? That seems weird and forward to me. I wondered how Matthew could do that, and almost concluded that he was a really good conversationist until I went further in your book. The concept is really interesting and this review was a well-written one too.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

These stories inspired by the covid-19 lockdown experience seems interesting to read. I will consider reading "Everyone Needs A Lyft" by Matthew V. Brown, Ph. D.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

This seems like a nice storyline. The different real life stories are both entertaining and educative, as It contains life lessons. Thanks for the review.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

Wow. A retired professor turned lyft driver. I would really like to read this book. Your review was beautiful. Good job!
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

This book seems to be an interesting one. 30 different stories from 30 passengers. Wow I can't wait to read this book.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Covid-19 was really a tough time for some people and one of the best times for others, it made some people broke and really made some rich.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This is a book that I would find time to read. This book is inspirational first from what the author did from a pandemic and also I enjoy reading people's life stories. They both encourage and teach something. Good review.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

It's quit interesting how that era cause alot to businesses and professions. But then we are humans and are ment to easily adapt to any situation. Nice reveiw.
NadiaBoateng
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiaboateng.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by NadiaBoateng »

This book is an inspiring one. Having to Lyft drive and collect passengers stories must have been fun and tedious at the same time. I'm sure Matt had a great experience; having to meet os many people after the pandemic is a plus.
Ikechi Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechi-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ikechi Ugochukwu »

This review is interesting with a lesson to not give up not matter how much our friends tease or lock us. This book should be read by youths.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This book seems fascinating. I enjoyed your review. The author did great as well. Good job.
Mhoreni Kheji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabrina-david.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Mhoreni Kheji »

Venturing into another business is a huge decision to make. I will read this book to fid out more. Your review is nice well done
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

Well it funny that the author thought of making the stories of his passengers into a book. But it be exciting to read different short stories.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”