Review of Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Review of Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics" by Shannon Duncan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When we hear the word "psychedelic", a common image that comes to mind is a recreational drug used at parties and concerts. But what if, through expansive use, we can use the drug for emotional healing? Misconceptions surrounding psychedelics are rampant in American society. In Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics, Shannon Duncan attempts to dispel these myths and offer a new perception of the drug. When used therapeutically, psychedelics can help one cope with trauma. Using his own healing experience as an example, the author shares factual information about the medicinal use of psychedelics.

Serving as a part memoir and a part self-help guide, the book will help one understand how the author decided to turn to psychedelics and the process he went through to heal. The book is like a warm, empathetic helping hand that will walk you through everything you need to know about the subject. In the beginning, he lays out enough foundation by explaining what psychedelics are and debunking common misconceptions. The author shares his early childhood life and how his traumas affected his present relationships. What I like most about this book is that it is honest, motivational, and helpful. Pieces of nformation were in specific details, and insights were broken down into short, digestible paragraphs.

The author's tone is conversational. He inserts motivational sentiments in the text whenever he gets the chance. The scientific terms are limited because the text is comprised of simple diction. The book is also free of any errors, so I assume that the book has great editing quality.

As much as the book aims to be educational, it still very much comes off as a testimonial. Thus, it is important to consult a qualified medical professional before experimenting with this, as rightfully encouraged by the book as well. The book motivates readers to develop self-awareness and the courage to take the necessary action toward healing. 

I decided to give Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The author managed to convey his insights with adequate research and a reader-friendly presentation. His account of the environment he grew up in as a child was raw and heartfelt. I have no reason to deduct any stars because I liked every aspect of this book. I recommend this book to anyone curious about different therapeutic methods. Medicine or healthcare scholars might find the insights in this book worth checking out.

Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for your review. While I would not want to invalidate the author's personal experience, I can say that I do not believe that the use of a psychedelic or any other mind-altering drug would actually resolve someone's problems. It might mask the problem, but that's all. This book is not for me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”