Review of Born To Rise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Review of Born To Rise

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Born To Rise" by Lorna Blake.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Born to Rise: A Journey from Setbacks to Comebacks and Lessons Learned is an inspiring memoir by Lorna Blake. She shared her life story, from impoverished beginnings to prosperity and abundance. Lorna was born in her grandparents’ home on a farm in Jamaica. There was no running water, gas, or electricity. She was the oldest of five siblings. They lived a simple life, but the house was always filled with her grandma's love and her grandpa's storytelling. When she was six years old, she had to move to Kingston. That was the first time that she experienced her mother as a parent. She didn’t know her biological father. Her life changed tremendously because her home environment was terrifying. She endured a dangerous neighborhood, physical abuse, hunger, and sexual abuse. She felt neglected, rejected, and abandoned.

Despite all the adversity, Lorna started to make positive changes in her life. She managed to graduate from school at an early age. She worked to improve and repair her relationship with her mother. After working as a telephone operator, she moved to Canada with her mother’s friend. She began taking yoga classes which gave her focus and filled her with confidence. Unfortunately, she married a man that abused her and committed adultery. They separated, reconciled, and finally divorced. After the birth of her two sons, their volatile, thirteen-year relationship ended. She went to therapy and also had the support of her mother and her siblings. Lorna felt like she had been set free! She was able to use her trials and tribulations to help others. She worked many jobs to serve others and became a motivational speaker and life coach.

There are many positive aspects of this memoir that I enjoyed. The author included many inspirational quotes from famous people. One of my favorite quotes was by Helen Keller. She stated, “Never bend your head. Hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” Another quote that spoke to me was from Maya Angelou. “God put a rainbow in the clouds to give us hope.” The second part of the book that I found helpful was the lessons she teaches her readers. For example, “You are more powerful than you think. What you tell yourself will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Speak and believe what you want for your life.” Finally, Lorna added assignments for self-improvement for readers. I have even followed some of them, such as starting each day with three deep breaths to stretch, loosen up, and continuing throughout the day as needed. I also followed through on the forgiveness assignment. I learned a lot as I read through the chapters.

I didn’t come across any elements that I disliked about the book. The life events she shared were not all chronological, but that did not confuse me because I kept notes. If anything, I wish the book was longer to learn more about Lorna’s triumphs and how she is helping others overcome traumatic experiences and reach their dreams. I gladly rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to mature teens and adults. It includes neglect, physical abuse, sexual abuse, and adultery. This book would touch the lives of people who have gone through or witnessed similar experiences and trauma. People interested in reading inspirational memoirs would enjoy learning about Lorna’s journey. Her life story has also been made into a documentary film, shared on television, and broadcasted on podcasts and radio interviews for people to hear.

Born To Rise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Her life story has also been made into a documentary film, shared on television, and broadcasted on podcasts and radio interviews for people to hear.
That is amazing!
I enjoyed your review.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I think I like the inclusion of inspirational quotes from famous people like you indicated. It must be a really great read.
uffan104
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uffan104 »

One of the most notable aspects of this book is Brown's honest and relatable writing style. He doesn't sugarcoat his experiences or present himself as perfect, but rather shares the ups and downs of his life with a refreshing authenticity. This makes the book engaging and inspiring for readers who may be struggling with their own challenges.

Another strength of "Born to Rise" is the way it weaves together personal anecdotes with practical advice for readers. Brown shares insights and lessons learned from his own experiences, giving readers concrete steps they can take to overcome obstacles and pursue their goals.

Overall, "Born to Rise" is an enjoyable and inspiring read that will appeal to anyone looking for motivation and guidance on how to achieve their dreams. It's a testament to the power of hard work, perseverance, and a positive attitude in overcoming adversity.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The quotes you mentioned are fantastic, and the assignments seem handy. It makes this book both a self-help book and a memoir. That was a brilliant move from the author since some of us don't read self-help, and others don't care that much for memoirs.
Great review!
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Inspiring memoir. Books like this teach people not to quit and to keep working hard until success is achieved. Your review is well articulated and provides required information about this book. Thanks for the recommendation.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

She must have been through a lot. The pain of being in a marriage with a partner that doesn't respect you. I wonder what assignments she gave to help readers develop themselves. Nice review.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I am not a fan of memoirs; however, your review on this book gave me pause. The assignment/lessons interest me because I find things like that are more applicable to life. Great review, it actually has me looking into reading this book.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
RobinMia28

Post by RobinMia28 »

I usually enjoy reading memoirs. Her story must have been difficult to share, but her resilience to the pain, led her to being an inspiration to others. Thanks for the great review.
Darin Erickson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Oxygen Advantage
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Darin Erickson »

I found the review to be beautifully written! What a remarkable journey this woman has been on. It is terrific that she is choosing to use her experiences to help others. Thank you for sharing your review.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

This sounds like such an inspiring book! What a life story. It seems like the lessons she teaches can help all of us. Thank you for your review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Wow, a life to be broadcast, made a film, and share to hear other people is for sure impactful and inspiring. I love to know about Lorna's journey to success. I enjoyed your review, amazing!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

I loved your review! I hope to read this book soon. It's always good to read about my fellow Caribbean people overcoming their struggles.
Rosandra Hosein
julesbritton

Post by julesbritton »

Thank you for your thorough review of this book. You make it sound appealing to read the story of Lorna Blake’s life. Her trials led her on an upward climb to a better life. Many would find her account inspiring.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”