Review of When you Carried Us

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Review of When you Carried Us

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When you Carried Us" by Amanda Luther.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

An account of Jenny Stromberg's life written by her sister, Amanda Luther, is presented in the book, When You Carried Us. Jenny was a cheerful child who spread her joy to everyone around her. She was a role model for her sister, who aspired to be as intelligent and nice as she was. She had a lovely soul and was well-liked by everyone. Jenny's family's life was forever changed when she died in a terrible car accident when she was 17 years old. Despite the tragic occurrence, they continued to make small steps forward. It describes the author's and her family's journey through the stages of grief.

It is heartbreaking to lose someone, especially if that person is really dear to you. Jenny and Amanda were inseparable as children, so her unique perspective on this story brought it to life. The author explained her emotions in great depth. She was good at this because the items she presented were customized, and she knew how to link them to the audience. Even if you haven't suffered a similar loss, you can understand where she's coming from, which helps you correctly understand what the author was aiming to express.

Jenny had made a lot of friends before she died. She had an impact on the lives of people of all ages. Following her death, these folks demonstrated their concern for the family by paying visits and making other meaningful actions to demonstrate that they truly cared. This was my favorite section of the book because the author included images of Jenny with her pals and even revealed the locations of numerous memorials built in memory of her big sister. It demonstrated Jenny's love and how she will live on in the hearts of all who knew her.

Amanda Luther found peace in the minor indications she believed were from Jenny, showing that she was still with them during their time of sorrow. She explained in the book how a butterfly, a white rose, and the number 7 appeared to be signs from her late sister. As comforting as that sounded, I found it a little too obsessive. It struck me as a bit extreme, and some readers may misinterpret it in times of sadness, waiting for cues that may never emerge. This point of view, however, will change from person to person, and some may find it empowering.

This was an amazing book that was professionally well edited, since I saw no faults in it. It was written in simple terms that even individuals who do not speak English as a first language could understand. I give it a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. Despite the one negative I noted above, which is entirely subjective, I believe many people would love this book. Reading this could help folks who have experienced loss and are looking for solace. You might also read and like this if you only want to discover how the Stromberg family overcame their awful loss. It does, however, include a lot of pain and emotion; therefore, younger readers should be supervised by their parents.

When you Carried Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I'm not sure I would be entertained by this book or motivated to read it. However, your review is good, and I enjoyed reading that.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I love it when books encourage us to be nice while on earth. Thanks for the review, it's a really elaborate one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”