Review of Letters from the Last Pope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Letters from the Last Pope

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letters from the Last Pope" by Phoebe Elizabeth Pope Sisk.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Letters from the Last Pope: A Journey Home is an emotional and poetic book written by Phoebe Elizabeth Pope Sisk. Being the last child of 10 children had its perks and downsides. She grew up with so much trauma and drama in her early childhood. Her mother underwent hysterectomy surgery, and after a series of failed medications, she lost her sanity. Afterwards, she committed suicide, and that left a huge scar in the hearts of her children. Her father raised them all, and they endured several hardships together. In a bid to connect with the past and get closure, the author wrote several letters to her close family and friends to let them know how important and dear they are to her.

At first glance, the title of the book may suggest the letters are from an actual pope writing letters of redemption to his members. However, I was quite taken aback by the contents of this book. It was a combination of 26 different letters written by the author to her close family and friends who have impacted her life positively and negatively in one way or another. The literary concepts were admirable, and the attention to details was lovely. After every chapter, the author writes a heartwarming poem that best describes the situation.

At some point in our lives, we have all made mistakes, and we all have regrets. The author did not shy away from talking about sensitive topics like suicide, drug abuse, sexual abuse, and poverty. Every now and then, the reader is graced with a photo splash from the past and present. This created a strong sense of reality, which made the story come to life.

One thing I really admired about this book was the author's poetic ability to intricately weave words to soothe the soul. The poems were touching and realistic, and most of the chapters were very relatable and emotional. The reader is transported into the author's tumultuous experiences of self-awareness and self-actualization. Some of the letters I really enjoyed reading were the letter to God, the letter to students and parents, and the letter to mama. In her letter to God, she talked about how she has always loved God and how she was raised to revere him. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I shed a tear or two reading these letters. She shared her vulnerabilities, her fears, her hopes, and her advice in these letters in a way that was really touching. Losing a mother at the age of 5 was a really tough experience, and having to raise kids of her own made her realize the goodness of having a mother around. Judging from the letters written to her by her children, one can easily tell that Phoebe is a good mom who would go the extra mile for her kids.

I'm not so much a fan of poetry, but I must confess that this book really struck a nerve. Recollections of past experiences, both good and bad, were discussed in each letter. It felt very good to read the letters from her children to her. I was able to finish this book in just a few days because the stories were really interesting and captivating, and the author's style of writing was just perfect. I also loved the fact that she highlighted the contributions and sacrifices her father had to make on their behalf. I loved how she appreciated her father and her entire family.

I found nothing to dislike about this book, so in this regard, I would love to give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The writing was in-depth and easy to understand. The book was exceptionally well edited. The poems were lovely and emotional, and the letters held a lot of weight and meaning.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves poetry, short stories, and memoirs. This is a book that will make you emotional. There are lessons to learn and moments to remember.

Letters from the Last Pope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Growing up with many siblings has its perks but most of the time, it is not such a pleasant experience. You have to share so much and sacrifice a lot more. Can't imagine how hard it was without a mother.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Life without a mother isn't an easy one, and I can relate. Just as the author said that everyone has made mistakes and has regrets, but it depends on how we handle our past so that it won't affect the present. Nice work from Phoebe Elizabeth.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Life without a mother can be really difficult at times. I love how the author was able to put down her raw emotions in her book. I enjoyed reading your review. Well done!
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Letters from the Last Pope: A Journey Home is a book written by Phoebe Elizabeth. It is that book that really makes us feel the words of the author.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This is incredible. I haven’t lived a life without a mother but this book has raw emotions and this review is excellent. Good job
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

The book seems to be a raw pour out of emotions on the pages of a book. Thank you for this review.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Stephen Grace Wonders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-grace-wonders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Stephen Grace Wonders »

It doesn't matter how advanced the world gets, letters had always been and will always be a unique and touching way to reach out to people. As a young adult, you'll think I prefer social media, however, if I get a letter, I'll appreciate it more than postings on social media. Writing letters is what intrigued me about this book, I'll try to read it.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This reveiw brought me to tears as a remembered a story. I would definitely want to read this book. I love how you drafted your review it was so clear.
NadiaBoateng
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiaboateng.html

Post by NadiaBoateng »

Judging from the review, I feel like this book is going to be an emotional rollercoaster. Losing a mother a such a tender age is a tough one. I am only glad that Phoebe got the chance to be a good mom to her children.
Ikechi Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechi-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ikechi Ugochukwu »

This is an awesome review. From what I've read from the review the author wrote its book with lots of emotions and remembrance of so many people who impacted in her life.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

I could feel the flow and emotions. I wonder how I'll feel while reading the book. We all come from different backgrounds and pasts but some can be very unique. I also appreciate the essence of family and family ties in the book. This review is so articulated and emotional.
Mhoreni Kheji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabrina-david.html

Post by Mhoreni Kheji »

After seeing the tittle of this book I thought it's some sort of biblical novel but when I read through your review I have a different perspective
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

This is quite an emotional read. I empathize with the writer for all the sad episodes of her life and appreciate her for being courageous enough to share her story with the world. The title had me thinking it was a book by the Vatican Pope, but it was something much much deeper than that. I hope she got her closure and I'm glad that she kept her faith in God despite the heart-wrenching experiences. Great review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

Reading the review of this book just endears it to my heart. I am excited on reading about the author's magical manipulation of words to create something soothing to the soul and pleasing to the sight. I would like to read those letters, especially the letter to mama.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”