Review of Emerging From the Dark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of Emerging From the Dark

Post by Huini Hellen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emerging From the Dark" by Terence Ang.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“When life gives you lemons, throw those lemons right back. What is one supposed to do with lemons?!” This is one of the quotes in Emerging From the Dark by Terence Ang that resonated with me the most. It shows stroke survivors’ determination to overcome setbacks while adjusting to a life they are not accustomed to. The statement foregrounds the battles that victims and survivors of stroke often fight; the strong-willed cope with the new developments in their lives and accept that other people may take time to adjust.

Terence woke up that night running short of breath and unable to go back to sleep. This marked the onset of his limitations. For instance, he struggled to tie his shoes, and even while he intended to refer to a period in years, he mistakenly used time parameters. Additionally, Terence felt other people did not empathize with his situation. He even wished he had an identification that marked him as an Aphasia survivor so they would be patient with him.

The author also included the lived experiences of other stroke survivors and close family members like Aini, who had to care for Hisham, her husband, when he had a stroke. The inclusion of these testimonies reinforced the author’s argument that society is far from accommodating stroke survivors. Furthermore, different people were victims of different types of stroke. Thus, they had unique experiences and distinct reactions from their families. For example, Annie had very supportive family members and a church that cared for her in her condition.

The graphic images and artistic works on several pages of the book added aesthetic beauty to the text and enhanced my understanding of various issues. For example, as an Aphasia stroke survivor, Terence had issues with communication. He does not describe this condition in prose but graphically illustrates how words would appear when he read them. This presentation enabled me to empathize with his condition and understand it better.

The inclusion of inspiring quotes from other individuals in society will encourage stroke survivors to appreciate their progress and motivate them to bounce back each time they feel stuck. Terence also used his handwriting in the book; this builds an intimate relationship with the reader by making this book sound like a conversation between two people who have known each other for a long time. Hence, I finished reading this book rooting for stroke survivors and was inspired by the fact that others took on new hobbies to keep themselves occupied.

There is nothing I liked least about this book that will make me deduct a star from the maximum rating of five out of five stars I awarded it. I found two errors that did not detract from my enjoyment, and I believe it must have been professionally edited. I recommend it to stroke survivors and their families, as it will give them a chance to meet other survivors who bravely fought through their challenges.

Emerging From the Dark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”