Review of You Are Still Alive, Now Act Like It

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Review of You Are Still Alive, Now Act Like It

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Are Still Alive, Now Act Like It" by Ray Catania.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you sure you understand what life is all about? Do you understand how our existence is programmed into the scheme of things? Do you want to live a better life, reaching your full potential not just in your career but as a whole person (being)? If your answer is yes, then You Are Still Alive, Now Act Like It: Empower, Elevate, And Enlighten Your Consciousness is a book you should read. This is a practical and yet philosophical book enriched with real-life experiences and wit. Ray Catania, who was formerly an atheist, continues to tell his story after becoming a more spiritually awakened person. The book is the second in its series. The first book is titled The Atheist And The Afterlife: An Autobiography and it contains the details of the author's transitioning to an enlightened person. He is able to infuse his experience into the reality of human existence and succeeds at giving practical explanations for concepts such as meditation and the law of attraction.

I respect the author's principle of not writing about what he hasn't experienced. It is quite reasonable. A few of the chapters really stood out to me, but I must mention Chapter 18: Retrain Your Brain. If the average reader only reads this section of the book without reading anything else, they will still be pushed to reflect on their own lives. Catania makes it sound so doable, and he makes an effort to simplify complicated phenomena throughout the entire book.

Although I found several errors in the book, they did not hinder my reading experience in any way. I can still say that the book was edited by a professional. There are just 23 chapters, and they are all of decent length. Since the author uses humor effectively in his writing, it is easy to see why the book is neither overly philosophical nor difficult to comprehend. I like his candor and the fact that he does not pretend to know it all. He therefore often acknowledges that he is still learning some things.

Overall, the book is a good read, but I was not quite convinced about Chapter 10, where the author talks about the origin of the universe. I could not relate to it in the same way that I did to many of the other chapters where he discusses ideas like positivity, having a lovely synchronised relationship with one's spouse, quantum physics, and higher consciousness. I recommend reading this book with an open mind, and for some religious folks who may at some point find it offensive, I tell them to take what is useful to them from the wealth of ideas it covers.

I rate this book four out of five stars because, despite the profanity and philosophical nature of the book, I completely understood the author's message (it did not amount to confusion). I am unable to give it a perfect rating only because of the number of errors I found. This book is good for people suffering from depression and those trying to break free from bad behaviours or habits. It is also for anyone who wants to achieve more than mediocre results in their life. Furthermore, read this book if you are about to make a significant decision in your life or if you are stuck doing one mind-numbing job.

You Are Still Alive, Now Act Like It
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

There's always a time when individuals live a half-life, I think there's no exception to this, time and time it happens. I like the title of the book, it's encouraging. And the book deserved a large readership because of its content. Your review is great!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Abdul Raheem Abdul Rehman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdul Raheem Abdul Rehman »

When I started reading this book I felt like it was talking about my life and the first paragraph of this book is everything. :? :?
If one understands this paragraph, understanding has hidden a lot in life.
Are you sure you understand what life is all about? Do you understand how our existence is programmed into the scheme of things? Do you want to live a better life, reaching your full potential not just in your career but as a whole person (being)? If your answer is yes, then You Are Still Alive, Now Act Like It.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

Thank you for writing such a thorough and insightful review of this book! Your detailed analysis of the book's strengths and weaknesses is very helpful for those considering whether or not to read it.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Your recommendation to approach the book with an open mind is very wise, and it shows that you are considerate of readers who may have different beliefs or backgrounds. This is a testament to your empathy and respect for others.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Great review! I appreciate the detailed description of the book's structure and how it offers practical advice and tips for new dads. Your positive remarks have piqued my interest, and I'm now considering getting a copy for myself.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

Great job on the review! Your attention to detail is impressive, and it's clear that you read the book thoroughly before writing your thoughts on it. Your commendation of the author's principle of only writing about what he has experienced is noteworthy and shows that you appreciate the author's authenticity.
Lawrencebanda
Favorite Author: Tony Jeton Selimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
fav_author_id: 220682

Post by Lawrencebanda »

Wow so much of a great review that gave message to the readers and interest just reading the books title can give you a reflection to motivate and think about it I like it

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”