Review of Raw Facts From Real Parents

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Raw Facts From Real Parents

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raw Facts From Real Parents" by Dr. Michael Acton.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Raw Facts From Real Parents by Dr. Michael Acton is a book on parenting that draws lessons from parents and teaches how to raise younger children and parent adult children.

The book is divided into two parts. The first part covers parenting strategies for younger children, and the second covers parenting techniques for adult children. The book covers topics about setting boundaries for children and listening to them when they speak. It also covers raising children with anxiety, mental illness, disability, and addictions. Through this book, readers should know what to do as parents.

Books like Raw Facts From Real Parents can be tricky to write. The world is evolving, and parenting isn't getting any easier. It becomes necessary that authors of parenting books must bring something to the table that will be both practical and realistic. Dr. Michael Acton did that with aplomb. The topics come from the author's wealth of experience as both a therapist and a parent. This makes the book relatable to parents because he understands the struggles of parenting a child.

I liked that the chapters were short and straightforward. The author also provided a list of books at the end of each chapter for parents desiring to do further reading. The books the author recommended in each chapter should deal with each topic more extensively. The recommended books will be helpful for parents who want more materials on a particular subject.

Another thing I liked about this book was the quotes preceding each chapter. They were precursors to the chapters themselves and could serve as food for thought for parents or what to write down on sticky notes or in their journals so they'd remember. At least, if the reader wouldn't remember everything said in a chapter, the quote preceding the chapter would help them recall some things.

The part on adult parenting is a thoughtful and realistic aspect to add. Most parents think that parenting ends when the child becomes an adult. According to the author, parenting never stops, and I agree. However, parenting strategies change according to a child's life stage. This book will help equip people who want to parent their older children correctly.

The little bit of humor in the second part also made me chuckle. It could serve as an icebreaker for readers. Reading about parenting strategies can be overwhelming. Therefore, the splattering of humor was an excellent initiative.

I rate Raw Facts From Real Parents 5 out of 5 stars because I dislike nothing. The editing is professional, as there are only two errors. I recommend this book to parents and aspiring parents who want to be as prepared as possible to raise children.

Raw Facts From Real Parents
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Good review of an interesting book!
Most parents think that parenting ends when the child becomes an adult. According to the author, parenting never stops, and I agree. However, parenting strategies change according to a child's life stage.
As a mother with three adult children, I agree the parent "hat" doesn't come off, but it changes quite a bit when children are on their own.
Beketele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beketele »

What a inspiring book. I believe that very few parents understand that it is also okay to parent and older child but in a different way. We always think that after 18 they are completely on their own. That is not practical because we always want to somehow have a say as parents. I give it 100%
Oluwasegun Timothy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

Parenting is never an easy task, having the right knowledge on how to navigate the journey helps though and I think Dr. Micheal Anton revealed a lot of that in this book. Each chapter was very concise and insightful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”