Review of Who We Met on the Way to Stanford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Who We Met on the Way to Stanford

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who We Met on the Way to Stanford" by Richard Sinay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Who We Met on the Way to Stanford is a father’s account of his son’s road to achieving his dream. Richard Sinay recognizes the talent for golf in his son at a young age. He hones this talent, practising on the country club courses, participating in tournaments and championships, and learning about the intricacies of the golf swing. Richard recognizes something else: his son, Brian, doesn’t love golf quite as much as he does. Brian sets his sight on Stanford, focused on attending this school above all else. Richard chronicles the journey to that goal and the people, both popular and not so popular, they met along the way.

There is a lot of golf terminology permeating the text. Readers are expected to have some bare familiarity with the sport, though I believe the average person won’t have a hard time getting into the swing of things—pun very much intended. I liked being introduced to the concept of the “Golden Ring”, player flameout, golf swing and the accompanying ‘lag’, as well as par—what it means to go over and under—the PGA Tour, and more. What I think might pose an issue (as it did in my case, anyway) was the deluge of statistical data and awards, championships, and tournaments that Sinay sped through.

I admired Brian’s bull-headed chasing of his dream to go to Stanford. I could relate all too well to his floundering after he achieved that goal and didn’t have another waiting in the wings. Apart from Brian, numerous other players were given room in the book to enable readers a peek at their golfing careers, whether long-lasting or not. Names like Michele Wei, Aaron Baddeley, James Oh, Tiger Woods, Sergio Garcia, and more made cameos, showing how each impacted Brian’s journey and a little of their personal stories and achievements.

Underpinning the fabric of this book are messages relating to communication and expectations. Sinay expresses from the get-go that he always knew Brian never desired to play pro, the son not loving the sport to the extent that the father did. He repeatedly stresses, too, that he never pushed him to do so, veering away from the helicopter parenting he had both witnessed and heard of, which would often result in a complete abolition of a parent-child relationship. Despite this, I could sense some disharmony between what he expected of Brian and what Brian wanted for himself, inevitably resulting in some tension and breakdown in communication between the two, whose personalities, in Sinay’s own words, were never very open to begin with. The father-son relationship was interesting to read about from a psychological standpoint.

I did find quite a few mistakes in this book. These varied across the board, but they numbered significantly and convinced me that the book might not have been professionally edited. The writing itself isn’t bad at all, but the presence of these errors cannot exactly be overlooked.

Who We Met on the Way to Stanford gets a rating of four out of five stars. Only the editing quality would count as a negative in my overall review of the book, and that is the reason for the one-star deduction. Otherwise, I think this book would be suitable for fans of golf and memoirs. It imparts lessons to fathers, as well, especially on the topic of expectations one might hold for their children.

Who We Met on the Way to Stanford
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bilem27+2023
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bilem27+2023 »

Book Review Who We Met On The Way To Sanford by Richard Sinay The book is an easy, fun read. It is about the relationship of father and son growing up through the teenage and young adult years around golf.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

This is indeed a well written and elaborate review. I like that the book is one that talks about someone chasing their dreams and receiving support from a parent.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”