Review of A Patient's Guide to Cancer: Understanding the Causes and Treatments of a complex Disease

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of A Patient's Guide to Cancer: Understanding the Causes and Treatments of a complex Disease

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Patient's Guide to Cancer: Understanding the Causes and Treatments of a complex Disease" by John F McDonald.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

John F. McDonald's A Patient's Guide to Cancer is a nonfiction book. There is nothing more distressing than receiving a medical diagnosis without also having a thorough understanding of the condition's causes, symptoms, and potential treatments. Perhaps you've been given a diagnosis, but you're uneasy with your current physician. Then maybe it's time to get a second opinion. It's your life, and this book could provide some answers after receiving a cancer diagnosis.

Some scientific terms are defined in this book, and the text is supplemented with illustrations and tables of contents. It begins with a detailed explanation of a cell, its DNA, and its RNA. This book is not to throw off the reader but to help them grasp how cancer works. In addition to that, they discuss the various kinds of treatments, how those treatments function, and provide examples of the treatments. This book provides references about the topics that were covered after the conclusion of each chapter. The author also included a glossary at the back of the book to define any terms the reader might have trouble with.

It is made clear in the preface that the intended audience is cancer patients, not researchers. However, the first two chapters introduced a great deal of terminology that may overwhelm some readers.

Most of the topics were not only comprehensible but also fascinating and engaging. I have always been interested in how cancer works, and this book sparked my interest. The beam radiation was fascinating to me as well. The reader will get a clear picture of the cancer journey ahead of them after finishing this book. He also elaborates on numerous types of cancer. I also appreciated that the author provided a graph illustrating how the risk of developing cancer increases with age. This is due to the fact that a person's natural resistance to cancerous cells declines with age.

This book deserves 5 out of 5 stars because it will educate many people about cancer and the various therapies that can be used to treat it. Despite my reservations, I'm giving this book a full rating. After the first two chapters, it was simple to follow along. This book seems to have been edited professionally.

This book is ideal for individuals who have already been given a cancer diagnosis. In my opinion, this book can also help family members of a cancer patient understand cancer and its treatments.

A Patient's Guide to Cancer: Understanding the Causes and Treatments of a complex Disease
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

The biological details do sound a bit confusing at the start, but overall it sounds like an informative book.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

As cancer is sadly quite a common occurrence it seems, I love the fact that there is a book to help navigate such an awful disease. Having lost my father to cancer, I realised just how little we know as ordinary people and I believe if we had more knowledge we would have handled his treatments completely differently.
Azzdine Saadi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Azzdine Saadi »

نلاحظ ان علاج سرطان اصبح من مستحيل
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”